Bighorn Sheep Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
I really wanted to go to this today but I work on Saturdays. My wife & daughter are heading to it right now. I had the pleasure of drawing a sheep tag here in Colorado in 2011 (my avatar) and the great privilege of taking a beautiful ram!  Sheep are such neat critters!  Anyone else crazy about sheep or have the opportunity to hunt them?

679cd010.jpg

I have only seen them a Few times, and that was in Montana. They were in the far back edge of a Field just outside of Plains MT, We stopped and got Fuel a few miles up the Rd, i was telling the Clerk that i had just seen some Bighorn Sheep in the Back of a Farmers field, and Wondered if the Guy Raised them? The Clerk said “No, They were wild, and Very common to See” They sure are Cool looking Critters for Sure! The Ram in your Avatar looks like a Dandy! What do you think he would have weighed?

Oh geesh... I have no idea what he weighed. About the same size as a real big mule deer buck I guess?  It scored 170”. Not a monster just a good representation of the species.  He was with a bigger one but I couldn’t get a shot at it. This one gave me a perfect shot opportunity and there’s no way I was passing it up!  I was up around 13,000 ft. In the picture. Sheep hunting can be tough and is in some unforgiving high mountain country. Except for the ones in a farmers field like you saw in MT, Lol!

13,000 ft? WOW!! Our highest peak in the Whole state is like 12,600 something like that? I rarely get above 4,000 ft hunting around here, Mostly 2500-3,000 ft. The highest peak i have ever been on here is 6,300 ft. I bet the air is mighty thin at 13,000? I have never been in those kind of Elevations, not even Close! 

From the looks of your Avatar you made a Perfect Shot on him!

We have over 50 peaks that are 14,000 ft. My sheep was below the summit of one of them. Yes the airs thin!  He was in a boulder field and I had about as perfect of a rest as you could ask for on one of the boulders. I relive the hunt often, when I’m at home staring at the mount on the wall. I may never get to hunt sheep again in my lifetime with how limited the tags are and the demand for those few tags.

CoHiCntry said:
We have over 50 peaks that are 14,000 ft. My sheep was below the summit of one of them. Yes the airs thin!  He was in a boulder field and I had about as perfect of a rest as you could ask for on one of the boulders. I relive the hunt often, when I’m at home staring at the mount on the wall. I may never get to hunt sheep again in my lifetime with how limited the tags are and the demand for those few tags.
I often wondered how you came across your avatar trophy.  I've hiked at 11,000 feet in my 20's and I was short-winded then  Not sure if I could physically hunt now at those high elevations.  You took advantage of a great opportunity.  I'd stare at it too if it were mine ;)

Sounds like others in the family have an interest in sheep hunting.

Marty said:
CoHiCntry said:
I often wondered how you came across your avatar trophy.  I've hiked at 11,000 feet in my 20's and I was short-winded then  Not sure if I could physically hunt now at those high elevations.  You took advantage of a great opportunity.  I'd stare at it too if it were mine ;)

Sounds like others in the family have an interest in sheep hunting.
I live at 8500' and spend a lot of time at high elevations wether it be climbing 14ers, backpacking or hunting.  Your body gets acclimated to the higher elevation the more time you spend there.  You could probably do it as long as you gave your body plenty of time to adjust to the elevation.  That's where a lot of guys get into trouble that come from lower elevations to hunt.  They down play the importance of getting acclimated and end up having a miserable trip due to sickness or just not feeling right.  It can actually be pretty dangerous.  I really don't even notice the thin air, it just seems normal to me.

I'm only living at about 500 feet above sea level (N.G.V.D.), so I would probably need plenty of time to acclimate to those higher elevations is my guess.

Marty said:
I'm only living at about 500 feet above sea level (N.G.V.D.), so I would probably need plenty of time to acclimate to those higher elevations is my guess.
You might?  Seems to affect everyone a little different.  Some guys don't seem to have an issue with it, while others do?

bananas and oat meal help with the altitude sickness. Marty, seeing how you are at such low levels, You'd probably need 3 to 7 days to get used to the altitude. Now at 13k-14k all bets are out the window lol, that stuff kills me.

We had them by our House in Colorado but also had Mule Deer, Elk and Antelope.

oneshot

It is pretty common to see Bighorn up the Snake River out of Lewiston, ID.  Unit 11 in Idaho is like winning the lottery if you draw a Bighorn tag.  They give out one a year in that unit, it alternates between a draw one year and a Governor's tag that is auctioned off the next year.  I've heard of it going for as "low" as $30k and as high as $80k!  A ram taken in unit 11 has to be a minimum of a full curl.  Many have taken rams that make the 180 minimum for the book out of that unit.

Marty said:
I lived in Northern Colorado for 45 years, hunted regular seasons, camped and did primitive hunts and camps and depending on the weather still had issues with acclimating to some higher areas over others? I would do anything anyone suggested to try and adjust, my doctor told me some folks adjust easier than others to this issue?   :Questuon:

Buck Conner said:
Marty said:
I lived in Northern Colorado for 45 years, hunted regular seasons, camped and did primitive hunts and camps and depending on the weather still had issues with acclimating to some higher areas over others? I would do anything anyone suggested to try and adjust, my doctor told me some folks adjust easier than others to this issue?   :Questuon:
I lived out there and where I lived would get sick and some times feel like I was going to pass out.

But last Fall I was supposed to go on the Gulf Fishing. I was ready then Arthritis put me down again for few months.

All ready for Deer Hunting again this year starting in September. My wife says forget it my health has put me down the last two seasons. Season before last was drawn for a mountain hunt and my health put me down.

But after living here have gotten use to these roads, scare the something out of my Son. Summer it gets fun with Float Outfitters meeting them on gravel roads  :lol!: 

oneshot

Renegadehunter said:
It is pretty common to see Bighorn up the Snake River out of Lewiston, ID.  Unit 11 in Idaho is like winning the lottery if you draw a Bighorn tag.  They give out one a year in that unit, it alternates between a draw one year and a Governor's tag that is auctioned off the next year.  I've heard of it going for as "low" as $30k and as high as $80k!  A ram taken in unit 11 has to be a minimum of a full curl.  Many have taken rams that make the 180 minimum for the book out of that unit.
Sheep hunting for the most part is a rich mans game unless you get really lucky like I did and draw a tag in your home state.  I paid $250 for the tag.  A non resident pays $2,000 for that same tag!  I used to apply in other western states for sheep but the non-refundable fees just to accumulate points has gotten out of hand.  Costs you $100 non refundable to apply and gain a point for Wyoming sheep!  Then over $2K if you ever draw the tag.  Colorado has now adopted a similar structure and you have to pay $50 non refundable to apply for sheep, moose and goat.  So that's $150 just to apply, not to mention the cost of the tag!  I've slowly been getting out of the points game in other western states due to the ever increasing costs and lower and lower draw odds as western hunting has exploded the last 10-20 years.  

Those Governors and other auction tags you mentioned go for outrageous amounts of money!  No other way to do it though... a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska will cost you $15,000 easy and the price goes up from there for Rocky Mountain Bighorns, or Stone sheep.

Denny Austad is the world record holder for the biggest non-typical elk. His trophy bull was nicknamed "Spider-Bull" for its web-like antlers. Austad hunted the bull in Utah, and paid $150,000 for tag to do it.

I had my schedule changed to work at nights at Cabela's in the Gun Library while we had this bull on displace, several of us were told to watch the mount so nobody touched it. Got to talk to Denny once and he told us touring with the bull and the different suppliers that their equipment was used for this hunt has doubled the cost of what the hunt was. He made out and doubled his money off this hunt.

image0414.jpg
The bull scored 478 5/8 on the Boone and Crockett scale. The elk was only seven or eight years old when it was harvested, and might have surpassed a score 500 had it lived longer.​

Awww... the "spider bull".  A classic representation of what a bunch of money can buy you!

CoHiCntry said:
Awww... the "spider bull".  A classic representation of what a bunch of money can buy you!
Denny told us in the Gun Library he had the fun of taking a World Record and later he had double his 401K and still had the animal mount that some day will bring more money when sold.  Use to see a few monster deer, and antelope at Cabela's that were for sale for big bucks $$$.  Cabela's holds horn days where these different firms purchase racks you no longer want, horns that would bring $50 a few years ago are now bringing $400 and up (they take the small racks and cut them up for anything from knife handles to dog chews.  $$$

Buck Conner said:
CoHiCntry said:
Denny told us in the Gun Library he had the fun of taking a World Record and later he had double his 401K and still had the animal mount that some day will bring more money when sold.  Use to see a few monster deer, and antelope at Cabela's that were for sale for big bucks $$$.  Cabela's holds horn days where these different firms purchase racks you no longer want, horns that would bring $50 a few years ago are now bringing $400 and up (they take the small racks and cut them up for anything from knife handles to dog chews.  $$$
Yeah, the price you can get for antlers is crazy!  As in several hundred dollars for a match set of 6X6 elk antlers that are still brown.  The antler market much like the trophy hunting market has exploded in recent years and everyone is scouring the hills looking for sheds.  So much so that Colorado has adopted a closure west of I-25 for shed hunting from January 1st until April 30th. Guys are pushing around wintering herds that are already struggling to survive.  Sometimes chasing big bulls with snow machines to try and get them to drop there antlers.  Like most things, a few ding dongs ruin it for everybody else!  And when money gets involved some seem to lose there minds trying to make a few easy dollars!

This is a match set my dad (in the pic) and I found while bear hunting this past September. They were the previous years sheds so they’d been sitting all summer getting sunned. They are still brownish but not perfect brownies. They aren’t huge but very unique.  They were found on the side of the canyon behind him about half way up.  They were not easy to get to!  I had actually glassed them up from the other side of the canyon.  I’m guessing they are worth a couple hundred bucks?
a7a1b810.jpg

Latest posts

Back