Bingo with my Rem 700ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFox

Reaction score
Well ,first off i want to say thanks to sabotloader back a couple weeks ago for some surjestion's.First off i went to the range today loaded up with all kinds of stuff to try out [ sabots & Bullets]
First up was some old TC Shockwaves 50 cal 250 Gr. and shot 2 of last years 777 Pellets at 50 yards.Well After 8 shots like this, i had a 1" 3 Shot Group 1 1/2" High.While smileing all over my face :D :D :D :D.I then move the Target out to the 100 yard marker and loaded her up again the same way and fire 2 times and both shots were almost 4" LOW.Not feeling good about that because i was thinking i should have been up higher nearer the BULLS EYE.So i scratch my old acking head some and desided to try 100 Grains of BM3 and use some of the Barnes 250 Gr T-EZ and switch out the supply sabots with some of the MMP HPH/24 sabots and not change a thing with moveing the Scope Dial Settings, just leave them as they were.I fire 2 more Shots.Both shots hit nearly 1" high but dead center,then i shot 4 more time useing the supply Sabots that came with these Barnes 250 Gr.T-EZs and they felt just like the MMP HPH/24 did when loading them when i had switch these same Bullets over to them.
So i think the MMP HPH/24 Sabots are the very same sabots that Barnes use's on there new FLAT BASE 250 Gr.T-EZ,just a diffrent color is all.
In any case I am one MO HAPPY CAMPER now with my REM 700ML :D :D :D

PS; It was 75 Degrees no wind to speak of.I was use a Bushnell 4x12x40AO.
Can't wait to try some BH209,But hey BM3 is working Great,So you know what they say.
If it not Broke.Don't FIX it :) :lol:
OOOOOOOOO ya the whole group at 100 yards was under 2" and i did swab after ever shot 2 Damp and 2 DRY patches after ever shot

You just ain't kidding sabotloader.This thing shoots great.I thought i'd never see the day that i would laid not my Custom Built centerfire rifles down, until now.But between my Knight Magnum Disc Rifle and this REM 700Ml,one would be hard press to find anything any better to shoot.
I LOVE IT, I SAY, in a evil sort of way:D :D :D :D
sabotloader said:
SwampFox

i tolt ya - dem rem 700ml's r goot shooten' guns... hard to beet dem

Sabot loader/Swampfox
Would one of you guys post a closeup picture of your Remington ML'ers bolt face. I'm curious as to what kind of firing mechanism it has. I'm wondering if it is similar to a Ruger 77/ML. I recently traded for a Ruger. I shot it for the first time Friday testing to see if it would shoot BH. The first 5 shots it went off without a hitch and after that it hangfired about every other time. It has a 209 conversion. I'm curious if there was any thing I could do to make it a reliable BH shooter or if I'll have to shoot T7 or the like in it. What is the diameter of your flame channel in your breechplug ? Thanks for any info you could give. I'd like to stick with the BH if possible.
Zen

Panhandle, i am not real sure about this,But i think sabotloader try BH 209 in one of his REM 700ML's and after it was shot so many times that there was BLOW BACK Build on the end of the 209 nipple that was causeing the hang-fires and he had to every now and then Stick something threw the Back of the 209 Nipple to un-clod the flame channel all the way threw the 209 nipple, then it would stop haveing the hang-fires,until it got CLOD up again.But i am sure sabotloader will see your question and reply back himself.
I do not have a Camera,if i did i would take you a PIC of the bolt.But again sabotloader most likely will do it.He is a Great Guy and don't mind one bit about helping someone out
Panhandle said:
Sabot loader/Swampfox
Would one of you guys post a closeup picture of your Remington ML'ers bolt face. I'm curious as to what kind of firing mechanism it has. I'm wondering if it is similar to a Ruger 77/ML. I recently traded for a Ruger. I shot it for the first time Friday testing to see if it would shoot BH. The first 5 shots it went off without a hitch and after that it hangfired about every other time. It has a 209 conversion. I'm curious if there was any thing I could do to make it a reliable BH shooter or if I'll have to shoot T7 or the like in it. What is the diameter of your flame channel in your breechplug ? Thanks for any info you could give. I'd like to stick with the BH if possible.
Zen

I really like my 700ML. I still use the #11 caps, and it shoots great. It's a shame Remington didn't continue these. I wouldn't take $500.00 for mine.

Thats a fact Swampman.I wouldn't take it either :D
Swampman said:
I really like my 700ML. I still use the #11 caps, and it shoots great. It's a shame Remington didn't continue these. I wouldn't take $500.00 for mine.

Panhandle

This was my original post on shooting the Remington with BH...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... +remington

At the time of this outing I did not really know that BH could/would produce a 'crud channel' in the breech plug. I just shot it and continued to shoot until I had completed the experiment.

It was not until several days later that I read in a Busta post about the build-up in the flash channel. I pulled the nipple and checked. Just for a note a 1/8" bit is a bit to large for the Cabelas nipple - it is made in Quebec so it is drilled with at a metric size. Anyway cleaned the channel and I am back in business.

Maybe that would be another good shoot this week - take the Remington to the farm again - this time not worring about velocities but just shooting paper and clay pigeons.... Jis Bh is so expensive to shoot for the heck of it...

hay swampman i got 2 fur dat price der {$500 nib ta boot 2, also} but day is 45's mls wit all 3 ignitions n a bolt tool 4 each 1 to n dat was shipped 2 me 2.payed in cannuck buck 2 :lol: :lol:

I paid $225.00 for mine. It's a stainless .50, like new with all the tools & the manual. I wish the stock was walnut or laminated.

Me too Swampfox,it's the only's draw back i have found.I am going to either Put one of those IMG on mine are get Richard-Micro Fit to make me a stock.Remington had a winner,would love to see a come back on-em.
But they want :( :(
Swampman said:
I wish the stock was walnut or laminated.

Swampman said:
I paid $225.00 for mine. It's a stainless .50, like new with all the tools & the manual. I wish the stock was walnut or laminated.

any 700 SA stock will work, you'll need to open the barrel channel up and cut a slot for the ramrod, also the side screw for the bolt may need a little reliving.

I'm doing a Boyds laminate ADL as we speak, for my 54cal Remmy, it was a semi finished 2nd I picked up somewheres for $40 a few years back. I need to get a pad yet and cut the ram rod channel, then out comes the sand paper.

The stock off my VLS is almost a drop in minus the ram rod channel, but is a BDL and would require the bottom metal.

Latest posts

Back