Black horn final answer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

Reaction score
Is the higher cost of Blackhorn 209 worth it over the cheaper and slightly more dirty Triple 7?

The cleaning isn't a big deal for me cuz I was always a Flintlock Hunter, so that's really not a consideration. More about the price

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Furthermore, I doubt I will ever take a shot over 150 yards, more likely 80 yards. I hunt fairly thick areas. So does Blackhorn offer enough advantage over Triple 7 if I'm not taking long shots?

scottprice said:
Is the higher cost of Blackhorn 209 worth it over the cheaper and slightly more dirty Triple 7?

The cleaning isn't a big deal for me cuz I was always a Flintlock Hunter, so that's really not a consideration. More about the price

For me, and this is only my opinion and I definitely do not claim to be an expert but from what I have noticed I see dramatic differences in consistency, being better, when shooting Blackhorn 209 vs triple seven powder

But I have noticed, just as long as I am very consistent in my loading practice of putting the same amount of pressure down on the bullet sabot combination, I almost never have unexplained pulled shots. Also what I have seen, even though naturally all black powders are more temperature sensitive than smokeless, it seems the Blackhorn 209 seems to be less temperature-sensitive from what I have observed on the range.

But I'm sure others that have much more knowledge on the subject than me will chime in to give their opinion. I haven't used bh209 for that long either.

As another option you can just use the Blackhorn 209 as your hunting go to powder and practice with the Triple 7 as a less expensive alternative.

Because for me I always find Triple 7 on sale at the end of the year at Walmart or on closeout places. But for me being that I noticed shot two shot inconsistencies with Triple 7 sometimes it almost seems like I am wasting money shooting those bullets and sabots when I can just spend the extra money on Blackhorn 209 and get excellent results.

It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of using BH209. Triple7 is a good powder and will serve you well, so no harm done, but I think you should buy a container of BH209 and try it, then you will know for sure what works best for you.

scottprice said:

Personally, I think BH is a great powder and I have shot several jugs of it, but with al of the price per 10 ounces really is not worth the added benefits. I shoot T7 with as much confidence as I do/did BH but the cost per shot is greatly reduced with T7. I can not say I shoot as much as others but I run through 10 bottles a year of T7 and when I do the math it makes sense to me.

I so no real difference in accuracy or shooting reliability between the two powders.

Because BH is a smokeless progressive burning powder, with a very small amount Sulphur and Potassium added to help it qualify it as a BP sub, - it will produce a somewhat greater velocity with the heavier bullets.

If you earn to manage some of the negatives of either powder - they both work great.

The only reason that I don't use BH209 is that they do not offer pellets yet. The 2 pellets of T7 & Barnes 290 T-EZ bullets have taken all of the deer that I have been fortunate to harvest. Cleaning the weapon, CVA Accura V2, has not been a problem for me using T7. One of my sons loves BH209 & the other uses T7 pellets. Carlos of Ed's gun shop recommends BH209 and he is a BP rifle guru.

ZZoRM99l.jpg

Re: RE: Re: Black horn final answer

dave19113 said:
scottprice said:

For me, and this is only my opinion and I definitely do not claim to be an expert but from what I have noticed I see dramatic differences in consistency, being better, when shooting Blackhorn 209 vs triple seven powder

But I have noticed, just as long as I am very consistent in my loading practice of putting the same amount of pressure down on the bullet sabot combination, I almost never have unexplained pulled shots. Also what I have seen, even though naturally all black powders are more temperature sensitive than smokeless, it seems the Blackhorn 209 seems to be less temperature-sensitive from what I have observed on the range.

But I'm sure others that have much more knowledge on the subject than me will chime in to give their opinion. I haven't used bh209 for that long either.

As another option you can just use the Blackhorn 209 as your hunting go to powder and practice with the Triple 7 as a less expensive alternative.

Because for me I always find Triple 7 on sale at the end of the year at Walmart or on closeout places. But for me being that I noticed shot two shot inconsistencies with Triple 7 sometimes it almost seems like I am wasting money shooting those bullets and sabots when I can just spend the extra money on Blackhorn 209 and get excellent results.
X-2

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Got the Blackhorn, federal primers and 240gr XTPs. We'll see what happens this week

I suspect that location has a lot to do with it. Where I live we get crud-ring so bad that we can not load the second shot with out cleaning it out or we can not seat the bullet sabot to the witness mark.
With BH we can shot all day and clean after we go home.
On the inconsistences I must agree on the 250 yard gong I normally hit the 8 inch 4 out of 5 with BH and 1 out of 5 with 777 this is off the bench rest .

I've sent thousands of rounds using both propellants. Although each has its own advantage and possible disadvantage, either can be as accurate as the other, including at long range (200yds+). Find the sweet spot of either and enjoy..

Blackhorn powder is worth every penny.
I use 15 -20 lbs a year and wouldn't use any other sub.
If didnt have blackhorn i would use swiss blackpowder.

bestill said:
I use 15 -20 lbs a year and wouldn't use any other sub.
I agree with bestill. I only use about 1/2 of what he does and now use no other powder in my inlines, except for a MK85 in which I use T7. I would not say BH209 gives any significant velocity advantage over T7 except with the heavier bullets(>250 gn), but the ease of reloading without swabbing, ease of cleaning, no storage degradation, non-hygroscopic characteristics and shooting consistency are enough for me to prefer it over any other sub. If you buy it in 5 lb jugs, the cost is substantially less than in 10 oz containers and actually less than T7 pellets.

bestill said:
I use (usually 10 oz a year but) wouldn't use any other sub.

X2 for bestill

I use BH209 in my smokers that are equipped for BH209 ignition requirements. Otherwise I prefer and use Swiss with Schutzen or KIK or Black Diamond next. No pellets or 777 or Pyrodex for me any more. My opinion, others will differ. W

wolfer said:
X2 for bestill

I use BH209 in my smokers that are equipped for BH209 ignition requirements. Otherwise I prefer and use Swiss with Schutzen or KIK or Black Diamond next. No pellets or 777 or Pyrodex for me any more. My opinion, others will differ. W
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to ask where you get your KIK powder. I really like KIK and still have about 10 lbs of it but I was told it is no longer being manufactured and no longer available unless you can find some old stock.

Scott..........You didn't mention what gun you're using?

For the record. I've used all the subs including BH and real BP. I prefer Swiss now. As someone who shoots a flintlock. Why didn't you consider using BP?

Muley Hunter said:

Why didn't you consider using BP?
I have a brand new CVA accura MR.

Since I'm able to use an inline in New Jersey I figured I would use more modern components from top to bottom (gun, projectile and powder).

My thought was to have the inline in NJ for more modern/bad weather and my flintlock in Pennsylvania to be traditional and enjoy the challenge

sabinajiles said:
wolfer said:
X2 for bestill

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have to ask where you get your KIK powder. I really like KIK and still have about 10 lbs of it but I was told it is no longer being manufactured and no longer available unless you can find some old stock.

Powderinc still lists KIK in stock but i think its a 5lb minimum

https://powderinc.com/product-category/ ... er/page/2/

scottprice said:
Muley Hunter said:

Since I'm able to use an inline in New Jersey I figured I would use more modern components from top to bottom (gun, projectile and powder).

My thought was to have the inline in NJ for more modern/bad weather and my flintlock in Pennsylvania to be traditional and enjoy the challenge

Have you ordered the BH 209 breech plug? You'll need that too for reliable ignition with BH.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Black horn final answer

Muley Hunter said:
scottprice said:
Muley Hunter said:

Have you ordered the BH 209 breech plug? You'll need that too for reliable ignition with BH.
Yes

Latest posts

Back