Black horn final answer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I really shoot anymore is Blackhorn or real black. Im northern Ocean co.(Point Pleasant) if your close, PM me, I have everything. :D

I'm fortunate to hunt Texas and Louisiana that have no restrictions on components or powder for muzzleloaders. For the last 10 years I use my 50 cal Knight Master Hunter (Disc Extreme) for all my deer hunting. I tried 777, Pyrodex and American's granular gold. I used pellets and loose. I put up with the crud rings, difficult clean up, inconsistent load etc. Once BH 209 became available and I used a can I discarded all my other powders and have never looked back. Follow the factory cleaning and loading recommendations, get a breech plug designed for BH 209 and you will never regret it. I find it far easier to work up loads with than using pellets. I have Lehign bare primer breech plugs and the new Mountaineer bolt housings on all 3 of my Knights. My current hunting load is 105 gr of BH 209 ( by volume), Harvesters 300 gr PT Gold bullet, Harvester's Black Crush Rib sabot and a Winchester regular 209 primer. From time to time I use a CCI 209M or Federal 209A primer. Very consistent accuracy and top notch performance on game. Consistent moa groups at 100 yards. Try it, I don't think you will regret the change. Lots of other good bullet choices available for you to try. I don't believe in using different bullets etc for practice. I load it the same way with the same components and the same pressure on ramrod every time. I'm comfortable out to 200 yds. Just don'feel comfortable with the longer range shots.

I've shot lots of Pyrodex and Triple 7 but I only shoot BH209 in my guns that are capable of using it now. I wouldn't go back to 777 or Pyrodex if it was free.

Re: RE: Re: Black horn final answer

QuinnTheEskimo said:
I've shot lots of Pyrodex and Triple 7 but I only shoot BH209 in my guns that are capable of using it. I wouldn't go back to 777 or Pyrodex if it was free.
X 10 what he said.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

I shoot triple 777 in my percussion guns only because I have to. I do shoot BH in my Pedersoli. I would not consider anything other than BH in my inlines. 8)

I think BH should cut the cost to bare minimum for 6 months, that should make 777 improve or slide down the hill.
I believe I found the inconsistence problem just before they came out with BH it is not the powder it is the residue in the areas where we get the bad crudring if you scrub until you get the crud-ring completely out the accuracy improves considerably.
How many of you would use777 at the same price? I bet there is a few.

Actually, Triple Se7en Pellets are far more costly to shoot than Blackhorn 209.

Blackhorn 209 is the "Gold Standard" in Muzzleloading Propellants for Modern Inlines today, and has been for the last 9 1/2 years.

Nothing else can compare!

The Accura MR is my favorite production inline being produced today. It'll put a smile on your face, every time you shoot one.

Enjoy!

Great info guys. I appreciate everyone's input

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

sabinajiles said:
GM54-120 said:
Powderinc still lists KIK in stock but i think its a 5lb minimum

https://powderinc.com/product-category/ ... er/page/2/
Thanks. All they list online is 1fg & 1.5fg. I might give them a call next week and see if anything else is even available.

Try Swiss and Olde Enysford....especially OE if you liked KIK. OE is cheaper than Swiss and virtually the same performance. It will be a little hotter than KIK so you could just use a little less.

I actually find cleanup with BH more tedious and time consuming than T7. I have to use solvents with BH and run many patches to get the bore as clean as I like it. With T7 I pour boiling water (use a funnel of course) in the bore. Then I follow with three dry patches. Next I run a patch with Ballistol to preserve the bore for storage. Faster and easier than BH. But...I will concede the points about the crud ring. I have one rifle that gets bad crud ring and one the gets very little. The crud ring is a big disadvantage for T7.

Re: RE: Re: Black horn final answer

Dutch said:
With T7 I pour boiling water (use a funnel of course) in the bore. Then I follow with three dry patches. Next I run a patch with Ballistol to preserve the bore for storage.
That's basically what I do with my flintlock, I just use Butches Bore Shine instead, and that's what I'll be doing with the inline too. People overthink cleaning

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Dutch said:
I actually find cleanup with BH more tedious and time consuming than T7. I have to use solvents with BH and run many patches to get the bore as clean as I like it. With T7 I pour boiling water (use a funnel of course) in the bore. Then I follow with three dry patches. Next I run a patch with Ballistol to preserve the bore for storage. Faster and easier than BH. But...I will concede the points about the crud ring. I have one rifle that gets bad crud ring and one the gets very little. The crud ring is a big disadvantage for T7.

Ya know Dutch, I actually never paid any attention, but cleaning my rifle after shooting T7 (25+heavy charges) can be done with 5 patches. I don't use multiple solvents and just use Butch's BPBS. Most swab between shots when using T7, which prevents the crud ring. Granted, most casual shooters shooting BH can shoot without swabbing between shots, but the top shots swab between shots.

Depends on the gun for me . Most of my guns like to be cleaned between shots. Although my Knight 500 shoots better dirty .

Here's a question for the long-time black powder shooters and the current Blackhorn shooters....from what I have been reading Blackhorn cannot be used in a primitive hunting season because it is a "smokeless" powder....cannot something he added to blackhorn to give it smoke and it becomes a legal black powder substitute for primitive seasons.....just a rambling thought.......

Mikeul50 said:
Here's a question for the long-time black powder shooters and the current Blackhorn shooters....from what I have been reading Blackhorn cannot be used in a primitive hunting season because it is a "smokeless" powder....cannot something he added to blackhorn to give it smoke and it becomes a legal black powder substitute for primitive seasons.....just a rambling thought.......
Blackhorn 209 may not smoke quite as much as real blackpowder or other subs, but it does smoke. I believe many of the states with laws governing primitive seasons do not specifically ban BH 209, however since it will not reliable fire, if it will fire at all, with percussion caps and since it is only supposed to be used in inlines with closed ignition systems, it is entirely unsuited for primitive firearms.

It only takes 5-6 patches and about 4 q-tips to clean my rifles after shooting BH209. I use Hoppes #9 bore solvent. I do not swab between shots but I do use a drill bit to clean the flash channel of the breech plug after every 5 shots.

Blackhorn 209 may not smoke quite as much as real blackpowder or other subs, but it does smoke. I believe many of the states with laws governing primitive seasons do not specifically ban BH 209, however since it will not reliable fire, if it will fire at all, with percussion caps and since it is only supposed to be used in inlines with closed ignition systems, it is entirely unsuited for primitive firearms.

I have seen a video on U-Toob where a fellow shot duplex loads in a TC Renegade. He put 10 grains of Goexin first and topped it with BH. It fired every time. Not sure how safe that might be, but it will consistently fire.

I have considered duplexing BH with about 5 to 10grains of T7 as I can't use 209's. I have been busy with the passing of my father but want to play with this concept a little vs using T7. I don't know if the benefits are real or not, only one way to find out. The only reason I would deal with the complexity is if it gains me something in the field. Where I hunt we can use inlines, open sight and exposed #11 or musket cap.

I hope to get out there soon as I haven't seen any smoke for a long time.

Latest posts

Back