Black horn final answer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing i could think of thst you might gain is a secound shot without cleaning . For years i hunted with a TC Encore . Barnes 250 TEZ and 2 pellets of T7 . This combo shot very well but i could NOT load a second shot without cleaning .

Possibly duplexing T7 / Black with Blackhorn 209 may help keep the fouling down . No i have never tried it nor am I condoning it !

First inline shoot went great. I used some shock waves that I got for free to get on paper and after 5 shots of adjustment, I was printing 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I was shooting 100gr by volume of bh209. I shot a total of 11 rounds without a problem reloading, no spit patch or anything

Excited to get out and shoot the XTPs which will be my hunting bullet. I have 240 and 300gr to try out.

Side note, is there an alternative to the store bought breech plug grease that I can use? I just got it cleaned up and don't have anything at the house

I quit using grease a long time ago. Now I just use white thread tape. The tape gets dirty but not the threads. When cleaning take off tape and discard. New tape only needs one wrap.

aside from the breech plug itself...cleaning this gun seems to mirror that of an O/U shotgun. Would this be a good cleaning process...
-Wire brush for the big stuff
-CVA Barrel Blaster Foam the barrel (let it sit)
-Bore snake the barrel
-Clean breech plug
-done

rangerod said:
I quit using grease a long time ago. Now I just use white thread tape. The tape gets dirty but not the threads. When cleaning take off tape and discard. New tape only needs one wrap.
I never grease the breech plugs on my 3 CVA rifles. 2 drops of synthetic oil before reinstalling after cleaning and I have never had an issue even after 50 consecutive shots.

scottprice said:
aside from the breech plug itself...cleaning this gun seems to mirror that of an O/U shotgun. Would this be a good cleaning process...
-Wire brush for the big stuff
-CVA Barrel Blaster Foam the barrel (let it sit)
-Bore snake the barrel
-Clean breech plug
-done
When you go to BH209, you will need to use a solvent for smokeless powder. I use Hoppes #9 and it works well. You probably won't need to use a bronze brush much either. I can't remember the last time I used one.

can someone please post a good bore cleaner? I shoot sabots so plastic residue is an issue as well. foaming cleaner would be convenient so i can just bore snake it clean

Ok great. Any suggestions on a foaming cleaner?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

sabinajiles said:
rangerod said:
I never grease the breech plugs on my 3 CVA rifles. 2 drops of synthetic oil before reinstalling after cleaning and I have never had an issue even after 50 consecutive shots.

Same here...CLP oil...No tape or grease for several years. No problem whatsoever.

scottprice said:
can someone please post a good bore cleaner? I shoot sabots so plastic residue is an issue as well. foaming cleaner would be convenient so i can just bore snake it clean

In my rifles I shoot BH209 in I use Butches Bore shine, same as my CF rifles. I don't see the need for a separate "Foaming" cleaner for Plastic Residue because I don't ever see any plastic residue. I think this is mostly something left over from the old Plastic Formulations that were used many years ago and that the current formulas used just don't really leave a residue. IF there is then the usual CF cleaners should be plenty to remove it, but I can't say that I even see it in the rifles I only shoot Black and subs in either. I don't regularly put a brush in my bores either.

Latest posts

Back