Black Horn Metering w/ Harrell Powder Measure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Had an hour yesterday and got sucked in to @bestill ‘s video’s on black horn 209 and his process.

I’ve got an RCBS chargemaster lite (auto dispensing powder measure by weight) and am considering getting Harrell Powder Measure.

I don’t have a 5lb jug of black horn 209, only (3) 10 oz cans (all same lot) at the moment.

bottom line his data has convinced me to do it by volume but measure afterwards in weight to confirm the volume metering is throwing the same amount verified by weight.

I’m looking at the Harrell due to the adjustment method (clicks) and hoping to get some input if others, probably reloaders, have used it and how it worked?

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/premium-powder-measure

I've not used the Harrell but use just the RCBS Uniflow powder measure I've had for decades. Its set, locked and extremely close.
I use it for 120grs VOLUME of BH209 and it throws it close enough for every day. 120grs VOLUME of BH209, Lot #31 for me weighs 85grs.
Now to be honest, if I were shooting competition, I'd weigh each charge after dropping it.

I’ll take a look at the lee as well. @michiganmuzzy do you use a traditional portable powder measure to see it by volume?
Yes. Ive used the clear plastic one frome TC and a couple different brass measures. I checked them against each other to confirm that theyre close. Then do a bunch of throws to get an average weight.

I second the RCBS Uniflow :lewis: I use to own a Redding 3BR which was a Great Powder Measure, But in all honesty It didn’t do anything better than the RCBS Uniflow, Just cost a lot more. Some powders work Awesome through a measure (Ball type) And some don’t (Spherical) I rarely use a Powder Measure, but when i do, i am glad that i have one

I just recently loaded some .223 for my AR, The RCBS Uniflow made the powder charges a Breeze, This is a situation where i was Glad to have a Powder measure :)
XgrjFS7.jpg

I use a PACT automatic dispenser and an electronic scale for all my powder charges. It dispenses as fast as I can seat a bullet in my cartridge guns and drops all my Black and Blackhorn just the same.

what's your favorite BLACK HORN LOAD lets compare notes! i started off with 70gr. and found a sweet spot
around 75gr. in my ACCURA MR. STILL SEEMS VERY POWERFULL!!! depending on bullet a red, black, or
sb sabot . .45 cal. pistol bullets from HORNADY XTP but have used FMJ with good results.

that should pack a wallop! have you chron. that load for FPS. i am going to do my powder puff load of 75gr.
and see were i am. thx bob

Back