Black horn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that, that would upset me also. So I will take your experience and not do it.thanks for sharing

I shot a deer this year with my rifle using BH209, and reloaded immediately. Ended up leaving it loaded a couple more weeks (I was still hunting on and off) before unloading and cleaning it fully. I did run a patch down the bore after it was loaded knowing I was leaving it loaded for a couple more weeks. I had no issue, but can't say I wasn't a little nervous.

I've never had a barrel issue but I had a breech plug corrode on a TC Triumph, this is when I first started using BH209. I would shoot the rifle and only swab the barrel and not pull the breech plug. I can't remember how long the plug was left uncleaned in the rifle, maybe a few weeks, my fault and lesson learned. I now clean everything at the same time and use grease on the entire plug and not just the threads, I think that helps when the rifle is shot and not cleaned for a few days while still afield hunting.
nPE9kvF.jpg

CVA Accura breech plug. I bought the rifle used and it was spotless except the snout on the plug, most likely the same way I corroded my plug.
3KIL99e.jpg

I swab my barrels with a dry patch, alcohol patch, then a dry patch when I get ready to load a rifle for hunting or range work. I will then fire off 3 primers to clear the breech plug and foul the bore. The Triumph is the worst for that first shot flyer but I feel a QLA-ectomy this spring may cure that. All my other rifles usually shoot that 1st clean, cold bore shot close to the intended the POI.

The corrosion on that plug is enough proof for me not to leave the gun unclean

I shot two deer in December and didn't clean barrel for ten days cuz I forgot. No problem whatsoever. I wouldn't recommend in warm weather with humidity.

Back