Black Powder Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambuster

Reaction score
Well I got my Lyman GPR  54 percussion a month or two ago and I was able to find some FFFG Goex in west Arkansas to shoot it but I was thinking I would go ahead and order some powder from Graff . In order to justify the HAZMAT fee I really need to buy about 5 cans of the Graff Brand Powder . So my question is should I order FFFG or FFG . There seems to be no rime nor reason to what people are loading when I read this forum. Lyman says FFG but I would appreciate you guys offering your reasoning.

Get some of both. You don't know in advance which will be more accurate in your gun. 

I shoot 2F in my .54 but 3F in my .45s and .50s. I shoot 1F in my 12 ga. shotgun.

I prefer 2fg in everything, but 3f certainly is great powder as well. You'll use less of it to match 2fg.

3F shoots better in my Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .54..shoot 2F out of my Renegade Bobby Hoyt .54.

3 FFFG TRIPLE 7 OR BLACK POWDER IS CLEANER AND LESS POWDER INSTEAD 100 GR USE 90 GR IN 45 -50-54 IN 58

But not as reliable as good ol Goex. I use plenty of Pyrodex on the range, but come hunting season & if I have it, Goex takes its place. I still have a rifle loaded with Goex since Septembers hunting season. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to fire it off.

FrontierGander said:
But not as reliable as good ol Goex. I use plenty of Pyrodex on the range, but come hunting season & if I have it, Goex takes its place. I still have a rifle loaded with Goex since Septembers hunting season. 
Amen!  :Red tup:

Real black powder is so much more reliable than Pyrodex and the only thing that works effectively in flintlocks. The only "phony" powder I use is Blackhorn 209 and that is only in two guns that have nipple conversions so centerfire primers can be used.

FrontierGander said:
But not as reliable as good ol Goex. I use plenty of Pyrodex on the range, but come hunting season & if I have it, Goex takes its place. I still have a rifle loaded with Goex since Septembers hunting season. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to fire it off.
I agree, amen.   :hats off:   :Red tup:

I find nothing wrong with goex but I like swiss better cost a little more yes. But it performs better and burns cleaner.

Latest posts

Back