black powder shot shells

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cell

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this one but I'm looking to put a bit of old school in a modern shotgun...kinda cowboy style but not quite.

O.k. I've done some research and decided I want to add a bit of smoke to the bang next time I go trap shooting. I read about the "square loads" when loading up black powder, but what if I want to use the 3f tripple7 I already have? Do I cut it down a percentage just like I do when I shoot my .50 muzzy?

Any one else shoot black powder out of there "modern" shotgun?

Another question-How about loading them up with slugs of the same weight of shot? Any one use a lee mold? how accurate are they out of a smooth bore?

thanks in advance,

Patrick

You could also try checking the Hodgdon site about 777 in shotgun loadings. Then if they don't list much email them to ask if they have any info or data to share. There must be some 'cowboy action' guys that do something to get the smoke with their shooting.

I have experience with a 36 cal BP pistol from years back. Flash forward to a guy I know shooting a black powder substitute with his 45 Colt handloads. I do a good amount of reloading, but have never done black powder, or subs in a gun that can handle modern powder. Don't know if he ever got it totally clean, then he sold it.

I do realize one may want a little smoke. The corrosive nature of BP is what turns me off, yes maybe I'm missing something. That smoke & residue can permeate throughout the action & be hard to completely clean up.

BP shotshells

I've been shooting BP shotshells for about 10yrs now at CAS shoots, My loads are 70 to 80gr, 90 for a slug, Pryo RS or Goex black 2f, a circle fly over powder wad, 1/2in cushion wad,fill the shell with shot, and a shot wad, and roll crimp. I've shot these out of doubles, an 1887 Winchester, and my 97. Lots of fun and smoke,and very easy to clean up,a couple of passes with a Windex patch, followed by a few dry one's, oil and I am done. I've never seen any damage done to the guns innards from shooting BP most if not all of the residue is on the bolt face and carrier, which wipes right of. Paper shells only last 2 or 3 loadings, and AA and STS shells last about 5 before the burn thru. I've a couple of box"s of Mag Tech brass shells and they each have over 20 to 30 reloads thru them: but you must throw them in water right after you shoot, and then scrub them down when I get home or back to camp, they take longer to clean then the guns. I do cast my own 12 gauge slugs the Lyman pellet works the best for me , goes all the way through the deer, at 50 yds. I've never used 777 my guess would be 65 to 75gr's would be the load. Oh yea, I have shot trap and skeet with these and you do get lot's of looks, and unless there is a breeze you'll miss most of the 2nd's on a double.

Back