Blackhorn 209 and sabotless loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doulos

Reaction score
Interested in smokeless but really intrigued with sabot less rifles. Anyone using Blackhorn 209 for sabot less loads?

Yes, and sofar it appears to work just fine. My best results have been with thin jackets and softer lead cores such as the Parker BE and Sierra 458 300gr JHP. I size the Sierra down in 3 steps to fit my bores. The Parker needs only 1 step.

84-91gr by weight works for me. A little less if using a 250gr bullet.

At the range I shot the 460 gr No Excuses bullets behind 90gr of BH209, also using a fiber gasket. I've gotten good preliminary accuracy, but am a little worried about how easy the bullets go down the barrel. It seems possible the bullet could shift off the powder with a good bump, and everything I have read tells me BH209 likes to be compressed as much as possible.

90gr...ouch. I stopped at 80gr with big lead.

For big lead, size them .001 to .0015 over land to land and you should not have a problem with them moving off the powder. I checked the little 451 350gr over several days which included lots of walking. It never moved. My bore is very slightly under .450

I shoot a custom fast twist 45 and blackhorn with sabotless bullet. Extremely accurate .
Keys are proper breech plug for blackhorn and hot 209 primer, snug fitting bullet seated firmly on powder with a veggie wad.
I use a sized Parker bullets or hornady sst or hornady ftx. You will need a adjustable sizing die to obtain proper bullet fit with different bullets.
Imo it takes a 100-120 gr by volume load to swell thin jacket bullets.

thanks bestill, Thats what I was asking about. I should have been more clear in what I was asking. I was most interested in sabot less jacketed bullets . But thanks for all the replies.

Back