• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Blackhorn 209 Cabela's in stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 8 ounce jug of BH209 and liked it .
I tested 5 different bullets and the Powerbelt 330 ELR won in my Optima V2 and in my older optima.
I shot all the BH209 and saw it at Cabelas for $80 !
I instead bought 2 boxes of White hots.
I’ve only fired 4 rounds using 2 white hot pellets.
Adjusted my scope up 2 inches at 75 yards and have just as good of a group.

I think it’s possible that the BH209 fad is going to burn out pretty quick due to price and availability when folks start testing more with Whitehorse and fire star pellets and find that the up side for BH209 is to minuscule.
JMHO

I saw some at Cabela’s a year ago. $69.99 for 10 ounces. My thoughts were “at that price, they can keep it! Heck, it’s not even a full pound!”

I recently purchased a used Buckstalker Inline. I went back to Cabela’s. It’s in stock but the price is now $79.99 for 8 ounces. Sportsmans was $69.99 a week to ten days ago but today is also $79.99 with an online limit of ONE. Cabela’s has no in-store limit. I thought I had read in a blog somewhere that it’s a Nitro-Cellulous powder. In other words, low-pressure Smokeless for Muzzies.

That rifle was an impulse buy as it was the only one with a scope. The previous owner had ordered it online and didn’t realize it wasn’t legal for Muzzleloader season here in Oregon. I wanted something new to play with as the one I have for ML classes is not the “Break Open” style. This takes 209s only. You cannot swap out the firing pin and spring like you can on the Northwest Magnum Models. I didn’t care as I have Traditional MLs for that. I thought about using it for our “General Any Legal Weapon”, season as I have more components for it than I have cartridges for my centerfires.

I already had a ton of Saboted Projectiles, so I bought some loose 777, some Pellets, White Hots, and 2 bottles of BH209. I had to order Winchester 777 Primers as they don’t stock them here in Oregon. I ended up ordering everything that usually comes with a new gun (Shooting & Cleaning kit, Spanner Wrench, & Hammer Extension). I put everything on a credit card and then transferred the balance to one with zero interest for 9 months. As an afterthought, I wish I had done my research and at least got one that could be converted from Primers to Caps. I’m going to play with this one for a while. I may end up getting a second one for ML Season. Most Likely, a CVA. I’ve shot sidelocks all my life so never really had an interest in Inlines. However, the idea of obtaining Center-fire Accuracy and Ballistics from a Muzzleloader intrigues me!

Walt

I have about a pound left from when I purchased it yrs ago I only use it in my encore endeavor between 777 and bh over my chronograph there's probably a 100 fps difference with a 100grn by volume load and a 290 grn barnes once I'm out going back to to 777 in my inlines, for the price difference not worth it sure 777 takes more cleaning but an extra 10min cleaning to me is worth it to save that much money especially since bh is almost non existent in my area heck Swiss 3f is up there in speed with them

Looking at the laws, Blackhorn is not legal In SC were I do most of my " local hunting ".
The law spells out the ingredients unlawful to use.
I got 2 lbs of it, I mainly gonna use it where smokeless is illegal. I've shot 777 since in came out with good results in hunting situations, mostly no more than 150 yards. I will still have my American Knight and my Mountaineer if I ever take it out of the box. I bought it 2 years ago and it is still in the box .Planning on sending it to Bestill to have some upgrades.

Looking at the laws, Blackhorn is not legal In SC were I do most of my " local hunting ".
I got 2 lbs of it, I mainly gonna use it where smokeless is illegal. I've shot 777 since in came out with good results in hunting situations, mostly no more than 150 yards. I will still have my American Knight and my Mountaineer if I ever take it out of the box. I bought it 2 years ago and it is still in the box .Planning on sending it to Bestill to have some upgrades.
Just curious but why is blackhorn powder Illegal to use in SC?

WTH with BH 209 being illegal in any state?
Thats the first I've heard about Blackhorn being illegal in any state. I wonder if SC is the only one?

That’s crazy. 160 bucks a pound for a powder that costs no more to make than any other smokeless nitrocellulose based powder. Just has some sulfur & potassium nitrate added. Both low cost ingredients. Other than easy cleaning, I don’t see any advantage and have had ignition problems with the stuff.
RFA. That's wRongFrackinAnswer for those in Rio Linda.
BH 209 is like U.S.A. made primers, they don't go out of date like bread.

RFA. That's wRongFrackinAnswer for those in Rio Linda.
BH 209 is like U.S.A. made primers, they don't go out of date like bread.
I haven't had any issues with blackhorn powder other than finding it! I've got enough to last me for a few more hunting seasons and some extra to try out some new loads. I don't know why he's had issues with it but as long as you're using shotgun primers and not muzzleloading primers it should go Bang!

Some states are more traditional on rules, some have a alternative season which allow different stuff used, pistols,an stuff looks like your is a more traditional state?

I couldn't tell you my state about anything goes, colorado was BP only,Pennsylvania was flintlock only, think they have a inline season early now, I've not been to many Virginia pretty open to I believe?

I couldn't tell you my state about anything goes, colorado was BP only,Pennsylvania was flintlock only, think they have a inline season early now, I've not been to many Virginia pretty open to I believe?
Some states like here in Ohio are pretty much open to anything during primitive weapon season! Some states are pretty strict on what is allowed during primitive weapon season! Some aren't allowed to use scopes and some require that the breech plug be open to the elements! Do your research before going out of state to hunt! SC is the only state that I know of that restricts the powder! There may be some others but I don't know for sure!

Latest posts

Back