Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabela’s / Bass Pro is now taking orders for the 10 ounce cans for delivery to their stores for the ridiculous price of $49.99.
I’m still holding out for the 5 lb. Jugs🤞
they aren't suppose to be selling them anymore

Time will tell, I hate buying the 10oz but will if I have to.

Time will tell, I hate buying the 10oz but will if I have to.
I won't for long. I'll just start shooting SML more.
I think those places that indicate "discontinued" did that during the Covid issue.
I won't be able to tomorrow myself but, someone should contact Hodgdon and ask them.

ACTUALLY............ RIGHT ON THE HODGDON SITE THEY LIST THE 5# CONTAINER AND PRICE. Blackhorn 209 | Hodgdon

Is the Cabela's /BP offer to order 10 oz BH209 and ship to store an email sent to members?

I dont see it online.....but still just finding it hard to roll on this "offer".

I've been looking aggressively in stores and have three I sent pics to also looking.

May be time to find an alternative....they all go bang and < 140 yards never had reduced success with any of the less internet hyped products.

When did you hear that and/or from who? I was under the impression that once they satisfied the needs of the hunters prior to the season, that they'd start with 5# containers again?????
It was from a Friend and supposedly he called Hodgen , just what i was told so maybe not true

No way will i pay 50.00 for 10 oz, will just shoot 777,pyrodex or black.. don't care how much I like BH that's just crazy and greedy.
Ive got 8# of it so will last a bit but when it runs out will probably be the end of my using it.

No way will i pay 50.00 for 10 oz, will just shoot 777,pyrodex or black.. don't care how much I like BH that's just crazy and greedy.
Ive got 8# of it so will last a bit but when it runs out will probably be the end of my using it.
If I shot alot, I'd struggle with that as well. As it is, for the last 5yrs where I live.... that has been the going price I've paid. Cheapest regular price I ever got was $46.99+ tax. I normally don't shoot alot, so its not that painful I guess.

I hope 5lb jugs come back, that's the route I'll go.

Seems like the few Wal Marts I've been in recently around the Richmond VA area have had plenty of the 10oz jugs for $36.99. The sporting goods stores - Cabelas and Green Top have it for $49.99, and Green Top had a 1 bottle per family limit. Fortunately I have plenty, and plenty of primers, but around here I'd be more concerned with finding primers. I haven't seen primers anywhere.

OK, a friend picked up his Cabela’s / Bass Pro online order that was shipped to the store. It is Lot # 38 in the Western Powder 10 Ounce can. Has anyone purchased any with the Hodgdon Labeling?
I’m Not Sure we are getting the Real Story about the BH 209 Powder Shortage?
I’ve had friends give up & purchase the Hodgdon Triple 7 FFF. One way for Hodgdon to get more sales🤑

5 bottles on the Caro MI Walmart shelf... Plus they had (the wrong for Blackhorn) win 777 209 primers sitting right by the black horn, 777 pellets, Pyrodex Pellets, and loose Pyrodex... had to stop a guy from trying the 777 primers and BH209 with his slam fire (plunger type) CVA (along with powerbelts...)

My local Walmart has Federal 209 muzzleloader primers.

My local Walmart has Federal 209 muzzleloader primers.

Thanks for the help.

I went back to Caro for some other stuff. All 5 bottles of BH were still there... and they were right by Federal Muzzle Loader primers (not 777 like I said earleri).. but that is a difference without a distinction.. the Federal "Muzzle Loader" primers don't work with Blackhorn209 either.

Last edited:
Stores should be required to post a sign right at the BH209 says " Use only shotshell reloading primers with this powder".

Also, I found BH209 in the smokeless reloading powders one time. At a nationally well-known chain store no less, with the name beginning with a C.

Maybe these a-holes making the muzzy primers should wake up and start making as many reloading primers and marketing then in 2 tray packs with a computer code that allows only one package per purchase at a time.

Last edited:
&/Or primer manufacturers should label them more accurately: "these reduced power/residue primers for Muzzle Loaders are NOT SUITABLE for BLACKHORN 209"

Latest posts

Back