Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local Walmart in Michigan is starting to receive muzzleloader supplies. No BH209 yet, but there is a place on the shelf for it. The price sticker says $36.99.

where in VA.
The Culpepper Walmart had 8 jugs of BH209 about an hour ago. And that's after I bought a few myself. $37 each. Their amount of muzzleloading stuff was far reater than what I saw at the Gainesville Cabelas a month ago. They also had thousands of Federal 209 Muzzleloader primers.

I'm on the hunt for regular 209 primers now.

5 bottles on the Caro MI Walmart shelf... Plus they had (the wrong for Blackhorn) win 777 209 primers sitting right by the black horn, 777 pellets, Pyrodex Pellets, and loose Pyrodex... had to stop a guy from trying the 777 primers and BH209 with his slam fire (plunger type) CVA (along with powerbelts...)

Last edited:
Just left Gainesville Cabalas, They several boxes of 1000 Magnum 209 primers for 70.00 -
Thanks! Will head up there shortly. A box of 1000 should last awhile.

Edit to add: ….aaaand they’re gone. A clerk took me to them and said “they’re right here. Or were. We had 10 boxes right here an hour ago. Since there’s no purchase limit like with ammo I guess someone got selfish.”

Last edited:
There will be an ad in Traders or Craig's list to sell them. In hind sight I should have purchased one. Are these the required or best primer for BH209? I had a worry that magnum 209s might create a push of their own on the charge.

Some will argue that you need a magnum shotshell primer to ignite 209 consistently but I've shot CCI, Federal, and Winchester non-magnum shotshell primers in all of my guns and in the coldest of winter weather and have never had a problem. What I have noted with magnum primers is that they carbon foul the flash channel a bit faster than a standard primer. With my Accura and 250 grain bullets pushed with 77 weighed grains of 209 powder using a Winchester 209 shotshell primer [my standard primer] I need to clean the flash channel between 14 and 16 shots to keep decent accuracy. With either a Federal or CCI magnum primer I need to clean the channel at 11 or 12 shots and the carbon is significantly harder.

Cabela’s / Bass Pro is now taking orders for the 10 ounce cans for delivery to their stores for the ridiculous price of $49.99.
I’m still holding out for the 5 lb. Jugs🤞

Latest posts

Back