Blackhorn -- 777ff

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised there is that much variation.
Thanks for sharing that info.

Clocked two different lots of Blackhorn this morning.

Rifle is 45 caliber Omega. Bestill breech plug. Load is 78 weighed grain Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 265g Fury STB sized way loose @ 0.4505", CCI shot gun primer.

lot 37 -- 2067 fps, 2067 fps, 2080 fps
Average speed is 2071 fps

lot 41 -- 1990 fps, 2005 fps, 2038 fps
Average speed is 2011 fps

Rifle is 45 caliber Omega. Bestill breech plug. Load is 78 weighed grain Blackhorn, vegetable fiber wad, 265g Fury STB sized way loose @ 0.4505", CCI shot gun primer.

Ron did you use a digital scale to weigh or beam?

These loads were weighed with a digital scale but weren't made perfect.

Powder is dropped with a powder measure, then weighed with a digital scale. If it weighs within ± 0.1g it is accepted, and put in a vial, and shot. Perfect weight is not demanded. Sometimes if the powder is dropped within ± 0.2g it is used. Kind of a mood at the moment thing.

If something seems untoward, the digital scale is checked with a check weight and/or a balance beam scale.

These loads were weighed with a digital scale but weren't made perfect.

Powder is dropped with a powder measure, then weighed with a digital scale. If it weighs within ± 0.1g it is accepted, and put in a vial, and shot. Perfect weight is not demanded. Sometimes if the powder is dropped within ± 0.2g it is used. Kind of a mood at the moment thing.

If something seems untoward, the digital scale is checked with a check weight and/or a balance beam scale.

I was just wondering. My old beam scale was causing my extreme spreads to be quite large, no matter how careful I was. I notice yours were pretty good.
I bought the RCBS Chargemaster and every tube has been remeasured. Some were more than a couple grains off. I just haven't shot since last summer.

Yesterday these lot of Blackhorn were clocked.

Got to wondering if maybe lot 41 should be shot at paper at the 150 yard distance.

This morning loaded some vials with lot 41 powder, and went out into the cold. Carried the target out there to what ended up at 155 yard from the truck. Was bitter cold, so didn't shoot from the table; instead shot from inside the truck. Temperature was 0°, and it felt like it too.

Shot the 45 caliber Omega again using the Bestill breech plug sized for CCI, and Federal primers. Load was 78 weighed grain of Blackhorn lot 41 which by the way is from Hodgdon. Vegetable fiber wad was used between powder, and bullet. Bullets were not tight; they were very very easy to push to the wad. Bullet was the Fury 265 STB sized to be loose in the barrel which in this rifle is 0.4505". Primer was CCI shotgun primer.

Aim is the bottom bull

asshot.jpg

So.............it appears it was the high speed of the bullet that caused it to fly high in the first shoot.

We will say the second shot was kinda hurried, and it does make the group ugly. Remove the second shot with some photoshop, and now the group is more pretty 😉

worked.jpg

Latest posts

Back