Blackhorn and .458 bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I finally got to shoot my MH Extreme today. I tried 300 grain Remington 45-70 slugs with MMP orange sabots. Results look promising. I shot 3 shot groups using 80, 90 and 100 grains of Blackhorn. Biggest group was about 1.25". Smallest, using the 100 grain load, was a cloverleaf. Tomorrow, I'm going to try the 325 grain Knight A-frames. I'm using the NFPJ breechplug. Ignition was instantaneous and the rifle was a breeze to clean. I had my doubts about Blackhorn, but now I am a believer!

That's good shooting Bill. Was that at 100 yards?

It would be interesting to know what velocity you were getting with those loads under the Remington bullet. I've used that bullet for years in my Browning 1885 45-70. In my experience you've got to be careful not to push them too fast. I had a nasty shallow wound on a medium sized doe when I pushed them over 1800 fps (broadside lung area /50 yards).

Groups were fired at 100 yds with a 6 power Leupold. I don't know what the speed was. My "pal" shot the Chrony last Fall.

That sounds really GREAT Bill! I don't know how you will beat those groups!

Latest posts

Back