Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love blackhorn powder because I can see what the deer does after the shot! With that being said I've got enough blackhorn to last me for quite a few more hunting seasons! I'm going to get some 777 to use at the range and keep my blackhorn for hunting! The very first bottle of blackhorn powder that I bought was $34.99 for 10oz jug and the prices have gone up double that and the jug has shrunk to 8oz!🤷‍♂️

Looks like demand is outstripping the inventory and production. When too many people want it and they are willing to pay for it the prices goes up and up. At least to the point where everyone says no I don’t want it anymore. But when that is is anyone’s guess.
That's why I just make my own $6.00 a pound they can keep their high price stuff my home made works as good as any store bought and I have no problem getting it start running low just make another batch.

It's not only BH 209 but Corporate Bob and his algorithms along with the "make what you can while you can" has permeated every facet of goods and services in this country. I'm in the healthcare field, ask me how I know.

Greed and competition is now a cemented way of life. I truly feel sorry for our young people entering the workforce and trying to raise a family including the ones who would like to carry on our proud outdoor traditions.

Sorry for getting off topic. Just make the switch as several of us have including some that have harkened back to the old ways and are making their own now. Everyone needs to watch the movie, "Wall Street" and study the character Gordon Gecko closely.

SHADOWFOX64

I really do like BH for its conveniency. but... for the shooting that I do, basically hunting, T7 will and does work just fine. Yes it does take a little bit more care but the price difference is well worth it.

I am old - really old - so I do not remember things as well as I use to, but it seems to me that a powder of very similar construction used to be available from IMR (now Hodgkins) for a lot less money. If I remember correctly it was used by black powder cartridges.

Last edited:
I don't want to hear it!

You want to see expensive powder or impossible to get powder and ammo come here!

Bought Swiss last week from the countries only seller at $45 more per tin than last year.

ADI, our powder manufacturer has apparently done a new contract with the states. ADI powder when sent to the US is rebranded as Hodgon. Anyhow getting powder or loaded ammunition, especially in bulk is nigh on impossible. As a consequence powder that was $100-150 to years ago is selling for between $250-1000 per tin. No joke.
Forget about 900 round ammo tins I'm told, my LGS can't even order them.

I don't want to hear it!

You want to see expensive powder or impossible to get powder and ammo come here!

Bought Swiss last week from the countries only seller at $45 more per tin than last year.

ADI, our powder manufacturer has apparently done a new contract with the states. ADI powder when sent to the US is rebranded as Hodgon. Anyhow getting powder or loaded ammunition, especially in bulk is nigh on impossible. As a consequence powder that was $100-150 to years ago is selling for between $250-1000 per tin. No joke.
Forget about 900 round ammo tins I'm told, my LGS can't even order them.
That's is exactly why I reload my own ammo and make my own black powder more people should get into doing this and the ammo and powder manufacturers will have to come down when they are not selling anything

That's is exactly why I reload my own ammo and make my own black powder more people should get into doing this and the ammo and powder manufacturers will have to come down when they are not selling anything
I used to reload, don't shoot centrefires enough to justify the effort.

Making powder here is illegal otherwise I'd do it.

Back