Blackhorn plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
Got a deal on a new cva optima. Want to shoot blackhorn out of this gun, I've never used it before. I know I have to get a new plug or alter the old one. Wanting to know what are the best options. Thanks

AS encore50a has alluded to, the Western plug kit is the way to go so you get everything you'll need to start shooting and maintain the new plug in an appropriate way. Its well worth the extr cost over other blackhorn plugs available which may or may not come with a wrench to seat the plug.

Hold onto the plug that came with your rifle and have someone do the conversion on it. The conversion will use vent liners which are an easy thing to order from Badgerridge.com. The vent liners will last significantly longer than a breech plug will and will cost about $6.50 to replace over the $25.00 [approx.] for a new plug.

Get the western plug to get shooting and then find someone to alter the original, best of both worlds. You'll go broke trying to wear out the four liner order from Badger Ridge. Your replacement 209 plug can be used as a back-up.

IMO Ron's mod to the OEM pellet plug is even better than the other options. If for no other reason than you replace the flash hole by replacing the vent liner. 2nd reason would be you have a larger flash channel, 5/32" vs a 1/8" for the BH209 plug.

I had Ron do mine. I also have the CVA BH plug I like the plug Ron did better. With the CVA plug I would get the occasional tight primer I haven't had any with Rons.I know it might just be me but my gun seems to shoot a little better groups with Rons.Depending on what models CVA does in 45 I might get one.The first thing I'll do is get ahold of Ron and have my plug done.

IMO Ron's mod to the OEM pellet plug is even better than the other options. If for no other reason than you replace the flash hole by replacing the vent liner. 2nd reason would be you have a larger flash channel, 5/32" vs a 1/8" for the BH209 plug.

Agree 100% with everything in this post. However, it don't hurt to a couple different plugs that can and will work.

I use the Western BH plug in my Optima with weighed charges of BH 209. No problem so far. I do find that Winchester 209 primers seem to seal a little better. Could be my imagination though. I keep the cva plug to use with T7 pellets for practice.

upload_2019-1-24_13-47-27.jpeg

If you would rather use a different primer, you can use the pictured SHIM KIT to set the head space of your rifle to fit the primer of your choice. Doesn't hurt to have two kits. Two kits gives you all the options.

What would it cost to convert my "factory" CVA BP to this "vent liner" version????

Mr Laughlin, I tried sending you a pm but I must not have done it correct. I will just have you do my breach plug if you would be willing to do it. Let me know where to send it and how much $. Thanks for all the comments. I knew you guys would steer me right!

I beagle, you need 25 posts to be able to send PM s.

Beagle, you only need 3 more posts to reach the 25 posts minimum. By the way, “messages” are posts.

Back