Bone Collector Problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad E

Reaction score
My TC Bone Collector has a problem where the firing pin does not hit the primer hard enough. When it first happened TC sent me a new breach. This did not solve the problem so I sent the gun back and they went over it. It still has the problem. I think either the firing pin is slightly to short or the spring that sends the hammer forward is to weak. To get through this season I put two layers of duct tape on the hammer. That seems to do the trick for a temporary fix. Maybe someone makes and after market kit the fix this???

I don’t shoot 209 primers, but I hear they are different lengths. What primers are you shooting ? I’m sure someone with experience will chime in one you inform us what you are shooting.

Thanks for chiming in. I have tried multiple primers. CCI, Remington and Winchester. 3 of them are specific to muzzleloaders and 2 are regular shotgun primers. All of them do the same thing. The gun will go off sometimes and other times it won’t no matter what primer I try.

You may be looking for the problem in the wrong place. The is a mechanism that blocks it from firing if the locking mechanism is not fully seated. you may have a burr or some dirt in the way.

Every time the pin does hit the primer. Makes a visible but small dent. If it is hitting the primer does the mechanism idea still apply. Thanks a million for chiming in on this.

How does the firing pin look? It should be round on the business end..
I had to replace a firing pin on my encore once when the end broke off.

I had a similar problem with a first generation Contender frame and I replaced the firing pin spring. As I am replying to this question I also want to ask if the hammer spring might be the problem?

I think the hammer spring could be the problem. It was happening before I sent it back to TC for repair and I assume they replaced it and now after a couple of years it’s happening again. TC is great to work with but not sure if I should send it back to them again or find a local gunsmith.

I did my firing pins and I think that the hammer spring should be do-able.

If I can limp through the season with my duct tape fix I will probably try it on my own. Thanks for the input.

If I can limp through the season with my duct tape fix I will probably try it on my own. Thanks for the input.
Does sound like a weak spring I've never heard of this before and hopefully it want happen to one of my several Encore or Contenders. Have you tried a rifle barrel to see if it happens there

I don’t have a rifle barrel for it. It does not appear to be a known problem. I can’t find anything on it so it will probably not become a problem for you

Have you pulled the firing pin bushing and cleaned it ?

Chad, I just bought a brand new TC Triumph bone collector...tried to shoot 3 times and the primer didn't get hit enough...tell me more about the duct tape fix...headed to Colorado in 21 days to elk hunt..thanks

Back