Bore Butter as a bore cleaner...WOW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
I have never used Bore Butter and really haven't heard of many inline shooters that do. I had a tube given to me and thought about throwing it away or giving it to someone. I scrubbed the Encore using a hot water dish washing soap mix then I used three different gun care products until the patches were clean coming out. For whatever reason (bored or obscessive compulsive disorder) I tried running a patch with Bore Butter on it through the barrel. It was completely black! I've probably run at least eight others through the bore and they have all been black. I'm finally starting to get lightly soiled patches to come out, this stuff appears to be incredible at removing fouling I wasn't even aware existed. Any comments regarding Bore Butter or my cleaning session appreciated, I have no experience with this stuff nor do I know any of the negatives involved with using it.

It would be interesting to know the kind of powder you were shooting. A solvent will remove lead, copper, plastic, but its not that great at fowling. If you're shooting BlackHorn then by all means clean with solvent.

As for the bore butter pulling fowling out.. its a wax. I do not see how it can. But it is your rifle. If you want to bore butter it, then so be it. Personally I would never let that stuff down the bore of my rifle. If your accuracy starts to fade out and you get fliers.. you know what caused it.

I've been using 777. I don't understand it either, the black stuff just keeps coming out of the bore and it looks better and better. Would Flitz be a good choice to run through the bore instead? If my accuracy starts to suffer can I just scrub the bore out with something else and the bore butter be history?

I am not sure what you are getting on the patches is fouling. The color is proabably a reaction to mixing your "gun care products" (that probably still have small amounts in your barrel) and bore butter.

this is an interesting post because I get the same thing when i shot 777 pellets and BH 209.

I have seen other threads talking about not using bore butter. So what does everyone else use?

hello flati

i like T7 as well and use all natural Thompson Center bore cleaner #13(looks almost like milk).....works very nicely and it's not a petroleum solvent like most other cleaners.leaves barrel smooth and shiney clean inside.....like you i also used bore butter to clean my inline and it shot like doggydoodoo after and took me months to get clean again.hope this helps.

Bore butter is absolutely the last thing I'd put down my rifles barrels. Butches Bore Shine and EEZOX work for me. JMHO

Now I've only been using these frontloaders for a couple years but the statement Grouse made about cleaning with water being a bad idea threw me for a loop. Why a bad idea??? I've been doing it every time I shoot, I rinse with boiling water and then a dry patch and then oil. I haven't seen any negatives. Please straighten me out if I am doing something wrong.
Art
________
Homemade vaporizers

If Bore Butter is so bad what can I now do to remove all traces from the barrel? I run a few nitro solvent bore cleaner patches through it, it appears clean with no traces of the Bore Butter. Should I start from scratch with hot water?

all of my rifles get soapy hot water bath and then scrubbed with a bore mop/brush. Run patches until dry and if i have it, a light coating of Rem oil with teflon goes down the bore. Most of the time i dont oil the bores.

When i used Bore butter i got the same black stuff, no clue what it was.

You can eliminate water and use US BORE PASTE instead of that bore butter.

Bore butter is bad news

flati

what can I now do to remove all traces from the barrel

BB is water souluable - just pour boiling water throught the bore and it will strip it out of the bore. Make sure you dry the barrel completely after you use it.

Well this will get me in trouble with the ML Gods, but there are a lot of people that do not like BB in the bore - I am one that used it for years and it worked very well for me. It really depends a lot on how you apply it and how much you leave in the bore. The bore must be completely dry. It does a terrific job reducing fouling - I even use it in my Trap shotguns to reduce the plastic fouling especially in the chokes.

The worst way to apply it is to cake it into the bore... and do not use it for bore protection for an extended period of time.

Montana X-Treme is making a much better product for bore conditioning than BB. BB is essentially mineral oils while the Montana X-Treme product is a eather/petroleum product. It will surface the bore and reduce the fouling also. I have used it both in the Omega and the Knight it seems to work as advertised + provide bore protection.

flounder said:
Now I've only been using these frontloaders for a couple years but the statement Grouse made about cleaning with water being a bad idea threw me for a loop. Why a bad idea??? I've been doing it every time I shoot, I rinse with boiling water and then a dry patch and then oil. I haven't seen any negatives. Please straighten me out if I am doing something wrong.
Art

Running water down gun barrel steel is asking for trouble. If you dont 100% dry the barrel it will rust. Even stainless steel barrels will rust. Dont kid yourself. If you use a bunch of dry patches and a hair dryer you can get the barrel dry. Even an air compressor blowing alot of air thru the barrel will dry it. 91% alchohol and some murphys oil soap mixed together will keep your barrel clean and nice forever. I would also use the alchohol for swabbing between shots. I still would run a dry patch after that. You wont need to worry about the powder being damp now. Walmart sells the alchohol for a couple bucks.

No more bore butter for me. i'll the Remington oil.

Another question is are the barrels of ML's made from different steel than a rifle?

Batchief909 said:
All depends. Ask Grouse..... 8)

I guess where I was going with this questions is, if the metals are the same, you dont need to put bore butter in your rifle's bore. So why do the manufactures (T/C) reccomend it? More revenue?

I just saw this on EA Browns site

Here's what I do: For a 50 caliber bore, instead of a jag I use a 45 caliber bronze cleaning brush. Wrap a TC "Seasoning" Patch around the brush and scrub it down the bore all the way to the breech plug. Seasoning patches are impregnated with borebutter that loosens the crud while seasoning the bore surface. Scrub the ignition area at the bottom especially well until you can feel that you are scrubbing smooth, bare metal. Usually its about 20 strokes. Next, wrap a DRY cleaning patch around the brush and scrub the barrel like before... about 20 strokes. This method results in a clean, consistent barrel that also loads easily and consistently. And the brush/patch combination never sticks in the barrel. Now, refer to the TC Muzzle Loading instruction manual for details of loading muzzle loader rifles, fully seating bullets, marking your ramrod for depth reference, etc... Then adapt that information to all loads at your own risk.......

Bore butter

Been cleaning with water , "Black Off", and using Bore Butter for 10+ years. I shoot a lot, and have put literally thousands of rounds down this barrel. It looks and shoots like new - go figure.

Latest posts

Back