Bore Butter Buildup

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

short_start

Shoots Pyrodex
Reaction score
I've been reading some old posts and see this mentioned a few times. I've actually had very good luck with Bore Butter as both a patch lube and a barrel preservative and would like to keep using it.

Is there any reason a patch or two moistened with MEK, Gun Scrubber, or brake cleaner wouldn't clean out any build-up?

Use anything that will get all the bore butter out of the grooves. With a build-up, a complete seal around the ball cannot be made. Make sure that the thickness of the patch, compressed heavily enough to imprint into the pure lead ball, is enough for a full seal in the bottoms of the barrel's grooves. Square bottom grooves are easier to fill than round bottom grooves are. Always err on the side of too thick, as opposed to too thin.

Once past the muzzle, even a bore-sized ball will almost always be easily pushed down onto the powder charge. Assuming, the edges of the lands are not razor sharp, nor the bore rough for any reason.

Any lube with beeswax, or a synthetic wax, is subject to build-up in the bore of a muzzleloading rifle's grooves.

Bore Butter has an especially notorious reputation for build-up, being too stiff in cold weather, and for delivering less than the best accuracy at all temperatures.

There are simply better choices nowadays. For hunting, Track of the Wolf's Mink Oil Tallow is a very good choice. It will stay pliable on a patch down to temps that most of us won't hunt at (sub-zero) anymore.

For the range, I never found spit to be lacking, but a lot of people want a liquid that is more convenient. There are all kinds of concoctions out there, most seem to have windshield washing fluid, or window cleaner as a constituent. It's the ammonia in both fluids that people are looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes no sense to me to use Bore Butter if you are going to "snap a cap" before loading. I would rather have a completely dry barrel.

It makes no sense to me to use Bore Butter if you are going to "snap a cap" before loading. I would rather have a completely dry barrel.

The pre-lubed shooting patches from TC use Bore Butter; I've got a lot of them. Also have some patches lubed with "Wonder Lube" which I think is very similar to Bore Butter. Would rather use them all than throw them out. To date, my PRB loads have worked best with these pre-lubed patches.

But the question was, "What removes Bore Butter build-up"? Will MEK, Gun Scrubber, Brake Cleaner, paint stripper, or something else? If something does and does it easily, then I can continue using these pre-lubed patches and Bore Butter itself. It's really not a bad product if the build-up can be dealt with.

Last edited:
I have never had to clean Bore Butter out of a barrel. Try whatever you have on hand. Put a bore light down in the barrel, and take a pic with your phone to see how effective your efforts have been.

That's really the only way to be sure. Back in THE GOOD OLD DAYS, we just had the apparent cleanliness of a patch as an indicator of cleanliness. Now, in 2021, we have tools that show us much more.

If the Bore Butter, and Wonder Lube patches are working for you, and give you acceptable accuracy for your needs; then there is no reason to stop using them, provided you have a routine that will remove the build-up that is inevitable.

Be careful Short Start, there are Trolls on this forum who will call you all sorts of names (as children will) for using Bore Butter. I myself have used it successfully for longer than most of them have been alive. The Hawken I built in the 60's shoots better today than it did then. I never worried about any build up or rust as there was never any reason to.
Shoot and enjoy.

I used to use bore butter and never had any build up issues(afaik). I started trying some different lubes to see if accuracy changed, and use IdahoLewis's tweaked nasa lube now. Pricey compared to others but seems to work great. I mainly like that it helps prevent leading as i shoot lead almost exclusively now.

I use a light coating of bore butter after I clean the rifle from shooting for the day. Then, prior to shooting the next time, I run a couple of patches with a light coating of TC number 13 cleaner down the barrel followed by a dry patch. I will then pop off a cap prior to loading just to make sure the barrel and nipple are dry. This has worked well for me.

Be careful Short Start, there are Trolls on this forum who will call you all sorts of names (as children will) for using Bore Butter. I myself have used it successfully for longer than most of them have been alive. The Hawken I built in the 60's shoots better today than it did then. I never worried about any build up or rust as there was never any reason to.
Shoot and enjoy.

I seen some Bore Butter just yesterday, I IMMEDIATELY thought of you when i seen it :D In case you are in need of more of it, this was at BlackSheep Sporting goods in Coeur d’Alene Idaho, it appeared to be a SMOKIN Good deal, You better jump on it before it’s all gone!
PzDw5hy.jpg

If i had a Bore that was Built up with Bore Butter from a Previous owner (I personally would NEVER use Bore Butter, I use a Quality Gun oil, Gun oils were designed to Protect Steel) To get the Built up Bore Butter out, I would use my Little Handheld Steam Cleaner, Remove the Nipple and simply point the Nozzle in Hole and HAMMER it with PIPING Hot Steam, This will get the Barrel EXTREMELY Hot so Definitely wear Gloves to protect from being burned
pNhJQUE.jpg

I've noticed that the people who complain about Bore Butter build-up are often those who refuse to use a bristle brush on their barrels and/or eschew (always wanted to use that word) a boiling water rinse rinse of a cleaned barrel. The boiling water does cause flash rust and some want to avoid that. But I think the build-up is removed by the heat and regard flash rust as No Big Deal.

But again, whatever works for you. I'm sure my barrels will outlast me; flash rust, brushes and all.

If i had a Bore that was Built up with Bore Butter from a Previous owner (I personally would NEVER use Bore Butter, I use a Quality Gun oil, Gun oils were designed to Protect Steel) To get the Built up Bore Butter out, I would use my Little Handheld Steam Cleaner, Remove the Nipple and simply point the Nozzle in Hole and HAMMER it with PIPING Hot Steam, This will get the Barrel EXTREMELY Hot so Definitely wear Gloves to protect from being burned
pNhJQUE.jpg
I got one of these because of how well Idaholewis said that they worked getting a barrel perfectly clean. Of course, the first time I used it was to clean a really filthy electric oven. WAAAAYYYYY better than oven cleaners. No smell, no toxic fumes, just lots of rags to catch the dirty, greasy water.

Latest posts

Back