Boresighter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
It is time for me to get a boresighter, something universal for anything from a 22 cal to 12 gauge shotgun, only have use for one once or twice a year so it doesn't have to be the top of the line but no junk either, any advice for me here?

billyzink said:
It is time for me to get a boresighter, something universal for anything from a 22 cal to 12 gauge shotgun, only have use for one once or twice a year so it doesn't have to be the top of the line but no junk either, any advice for me here?

I have a Leupold magnetic bore sighting device...as much as I like Leupold products, it's a piece of crap. For the life of me I can't see how ANY of the magnetic bore sighting devices will WORK! Also....Even the best device isn't a substitute for sightning in a rifle at the range. I can't tell you how many shooters I've seen set up their target at 100yds because their rifle had been "boresighted." Of course they are no where NEAR the target! IMO these products are close to useless.

If you are sighting in a bolt-action rifle or ANY rifle that allows you to look down the barrel, you can bore sight it WAY better than any device just by looking down the bore at a target and allign the crosshairs with the image seen thru the bore. It WORKS! No matter the firearm it is always best to shoot your FIRST target at 25yds. You'll save time, ammunition, AND FACE by zeroing here before advancing to greater distances.

I got a BSA kit on ebay new for $25.00.It dosen't have the 12ga arbor but it does have the .50 cal.You could probably buy the 12 from the saved money.It is not the highest quality,and not nearly as nice as the laser units but it is serviceable for the 2 or 3 times a year that I use it.

RandyWakeman said:
I have a Site Lite SL-100 that works-- if you ignore the directions. :?

Ditto... THe SL-100 is a good product and should last a lifetime!

I like the bolt action for the very reason chuck mentioned, can always get it on paper, plus I think a bolt action is a more accurate gun.

big6x6 said:
billyzink said:

I have a Leupold magnetic bore sighting device...as much as I like Leupold products, it's a piece of crap. For the life of me I can't see how ANY of the magnetic bore sighting devices will WORK! Also....Even the best device isn't a substitute for sightning in a rifle at the range. I can't tell you how many shooters I've seen set up their target at 100yds because their rifle had been "boresighted." Of course they are no where NEAR the target! IMO these products are close to useless.

If you are sighting in a bolt-action rifle or ANY rifle that allows you to look down the barrel, you can bore sight it WAY better than any device just by looking down the bore at a target and allign the crosshairs with the image seen thru the bore. It WORKS! No matter the firearm it is always best to shoot your FIRST target at 25yds. You'll save time, ammunition, AND FACE by zeroing here before advancing to greater distances.
Thanks Chuck and everyone else for your replies, I have boresighted down the barrell in the past like you explained and has worked well, but not everything I own is bolt action so I need to get one, THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE, gotta go and order me a SITE LITE SL100

Back