Boycott/ Limit purchase of BH 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wally has even started to lock up the cleaning supplies! They have some bullets for inline, but no powder, caps, flints, or 209 primers.

That’s no surprise, they lock up socks and underwear!
I hear loss control is out of control. The one in Eugene has facial recognition set ups at the doors now. May add since measure 114 passed there may be many gunshops closing as well as big guys like Cabela's and Bi Mart.

Seems it's causing demand for anything firearms related including Powder and reloading to skyrocket and stirring profiteering.

They have some bullets for inline, but no powder, caps, flints, or 209 primers.

Wal Marts muzzleloader stuff is seasonal.

In August, 2022; the Lawton, OK Wal Mart began displaying muzzleloader rifles and accessories in anticipation of muzzleloader deer season. There were #11 caps and Federal 209 primers on the pegs. The store had BH 209 powder for $42 and change for a ten ounce can. There was Triple Seven and Pyrodex on the shelf.

By mid-late October the #11 caps were gone. 209 primers were gone by early to mid December.

I have 3lbs right now and should be good for a few years. If the price comes down, I’ll buy some more but not until that happens. I’m on the list for a smokeless barrel for my Omega, so when I get that my BH209 need is gone.

It was funny how you couldn’t get it for a long time and then right before our muzzleloader season the distributors had a lot but jacked the price up. My local reloading store only bought enough for the orders they had and put the jugs out on the shelf when a few didn’t come pick theirs up. They sold those quickly.

Prices in the industry will stabilize. This is the right approach....don't hoard, and don't "buy high" just because it is available.
This is the best economic advice. Hoarding actually drives the price artificially higher and causes shortages; then, when production capacity increases it will hit a wall when even the hoarders can no longer afford to buy. Then production craters and the viscous cycle restarts.

They’ll probably stop producing it again to keep supply down and prices high.
That just doesn’t make economic sense. I am sure they would rather sell 1 million jugs at $40 than 250,000 at $80.

If that was the case, they would be doing it on all their powders. They own all the big ones

Yep, on these threads there always multiple people that have lots of BH 209 in their closet. Years worth.

There was a time for that, but that time is past. Buy only what you need or dont buy any.

There are too many people who are willing to hoard all they can to be sure you don't get any. Nice thought to boycott or whatever but for ever guy that does not buy, there are 10 behind him that will clear the place out. Too many selfish and greedy people with enough money to not care even a little.

There are too many people who are willing to hoard all they can to be sure you don't get any.............................
I disagree. Nobody is hoarding to keep others from getting any.

This is the second time we've been through this. Some of us were prepared. I've said it before, better purchase all the T7 and other subs you need........

Hoarding to keep other people from getting any hasn’t happened. But hoarding has been going on, driven by fear of shortages. Even I got worried and now I have over 4 bottles bought at lower prices. I use maybe 1-1.5 bottles per year. I certainly don’t need 4+. I hear all the time people have way more than me. Not because they shoot that much more, but because they let fear control their buying.

If that had not happened, chances are they would still be producing 10 Oz bottles, and the price would be less. Going forward just hoping get what you need for maybe a year but not way more than that.

I also hope that those that have felt like they need to have a big supply have already bought. And that the new pricing will limit others. Let’s not let them control us. Let us control the situation. We have that within our power.

Last edited:
For whatever reason you can no longer count on being able to simply run to the neighborhood gunshop to pick up a pound of powder whenever you need it and it’s been that way for awhile. You need to maintain your own inventory if you want to be able to shoot/hunt. That’s not hoarding it’s just being prepared.

Hunters who shoot maybe a dozen rounds a year have nothing to worry about.
However, those who shoot a lot do.

It's nothing to burn up 4,000grs in a single weekend match. And that doesn't include any practice prior to.
Some at Friendship shoot over 500 rounds during the week long Nationals. 500 x 84grs = 42,000grs in a week. 42,000/7000 = 6lbs. That's 6 pounds not ounces.

Wait is what broke the wagon. After the first minor shortage, people should have prepared themselves. Most didn't. Those of us who prepared are now called hoarders?

That just doesn’t make economic sense. I am sure they would rather sell 1 million jugs at $40 than 250,000 at $80.

If that was the case, they would be doing it on all their powders. They own all the
big ones

I was joking, but if you think about it, it does make sense. If they can produce half the amount and make the same amount of money, that’s more money in their pockets. The cost of maintenance and wear and tear on your machinery would decrease right away and giving them more profit. There would also be a savings for them because your paying for less labor and benefits, giving them again more profit.

Latest posts

Back