Boycott/ Limit purchase of BH 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just doesn’t make economic sense. I am sure they would rather sell 1 million jugs at $40 than 250,000 at $80.

If that was the case, they would be doing it on all their powders. They own all the big ones
I can't imagine any manufacturer not crunching the numbers when considering price increases before the actual price increase. They must have decided that the increase in prices creates more profit even considering the loss in demand. Question. If demand has gone down considerably why the supply issues? It's not like the price increase happened yesterday. Sorry but I don't buy the supply issues story.

What supply issues? Currently you can get it at a lot of places. Online and in stores. Why? Because seasons are over and the price is high.

But there were months and months you could not get it at any price. If they did that on purpose, that was economic suicide.

You don’t think there have been supply issues for materials to make the powder?? You don’t believe they are having the same Covid issues with labor, materials, and transportation in Canada (where it is made) as we are having here?

I ordered a new Chevy truck last March. Was supposed to be 2022. It was not assemblied until mid November IN OSHAWA CANADA. It’s still waiting for transit to the US. Just heard it has moved within Canada but is still not in the US. Now they predict it will get to the dealer the first week in Feb. I am not holding my breath.

I guarantee you the company made less money selling BH 209 in 2022 than they did before Covid selling it at a lower price.

Last edited:
I was joking, but if you think about it, it does make sense. If they can produce half the amount and make the same amount of money, that’s more money in their pockets. The cost of maintenance and wear and tear on your machinery would decrease right away and giving them more profit. There would also be a savings for them because your paying for less labor and benefits, giving them again more profit.
I think we would all like to see the price drop. If we keep buying every bottle when we see it in a store, the supply will continue to stay low and the price will conrinue to go up. As we come out of the grip of Covid shortages, I think we can back off on getting a multiple year supply.

Lowering the demand is about the only “bullet in the gun” we have to try and reduce the price. So all I am saying is to think about it before you buy a big supply

As for me, I won’t be buying any at current pricing.

Last edited:
I have plenty of BH209 at the moment, but I too am dabbling in this smokeless area. I currently have three different smokeless powder, a pound each, that cost about the same as pre-covid BH that the gun can handle. The loads I have weighed up are far less than the BH loads I use in the other guns so I should be able to shoot at will for a long, long time.

I wonder would you explain for me the difference between H4198 and IMR4198.
If you look at the burn rate chart they are almost the same I have not used the h4198 but have 2 cans of imr4198 . Check your load data and see if the load data is the same
I wonder would you explain for me the difference between H4198 and IMR4198.

What supply issues? Currently you can get it at a lot of places. Online and in stores. Why? Because seasons are over and the price is high.

But there were months and months you could not get it at any price. If they did that on purpose, that was economic suicide.

You don’t think there have been supply issues for materials to make the powder?? You don’t believe they are having the same Covid issues with labor, materials, and transportation in Canada (where it is made) as we are having here?

I ordered a new Chevy truck last March. Was supposed to be 2022. It was not assemblied until mid November IN OSHAWA CANADA. It’s still waiting for transit to the US. Just heard it has moved within Canada but is still not in the US. Now they predict it will get to the dealer the first week in Feb. I am not holding my breath.

I guarantee you the company made less money selling BH 209 in 2022 than they did before Covid selling it at a lower priceye

Yesterday at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Portland, OR it was $70 or $69.99 which was too rich for my blood. Being a fixed income senior I am waiting hoping it will drop to around $50 which is still high more affordable. They didn’t have any common smokeless powder that I use also. I am glad I have a decent stock of most smokeless powder I use.

Sportsman's Warehouse online states 48.99, until you click on it then it's 69.99. Even at 48.99, you end up with the Hazmat fee and shipping, which would most likely push it closer to $70.

To make matters worse, there are those of us who "live behind enemy lines" as a lot of gun owners in Massachusetts, and similar states say, so even if it were a great deal online, most vendors won't ship here.

For giggles I just looked up Blackhorn price here at my Sportsman's Warehouse, even though they have none and none available to ship, $69.99. The days of the cheap Blackhorn are over boys!

Back