Brand New with questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHandy45

Reaction score
Hey All,
Brand new to muzzle loading subjects after I was presented with a beautiful muzzle loader someone wanted to get rid of. Clean beautiful octagonal barrel with a LEFT side hammer, which is really what caught my eye. After the hand over, looked and found the following
The barrel is lightly stamped
Navy Arms CO, Ridgefield, NJ U.S.A (right side of the rear sight, I called the modern Navy Arms Inc and got the story about the old Navy Arms CO.)
50 CAL (left side, under rear sight, fancier font)
04344 (stamped in barrel to the rear closer to hammer"
barrel, muzzle end to middle of hammer 27"
I'm guessing from the trigger guard that this is a Hawkins, but as far as purchase date or model run, left hand hammer, ext, no idea. Anyone that can help?

Also, my father built a hawkins (not Navy Arms) in the 1970's and had it hanging in the house for the rest of his life. Only shot it a few times, I was wondering if anyone had information on the load and round this was built for? I saw on here somewhere that these tend to crack the stock if loaded with too much powder. Any copies of manuals out there?

Any information would help out in the story.
Thank You

I am a left handed long gun shooter. Father was a lefty and taught me with a Winchester 66 Centennial 30-30 when I was little. When I started shooting my own weapons and later in the military, it was "complicated." I'm a right hander in all things other than long guns, but I've always been a dead shot lefty long gun, average handgun righty. :)

Welcome.
If your dad built the Hawken from a kit, the most common were CVA and Thompson Center. I’m not sure that either of their full size guns were prone to cracking but the T/C scaled down .45 guns sure are. I’m not sure when the Seneca was introduced? Post a picture of it and I’m sure someone here can tell you what it is.
Edit: Dixie Gun Works kits were probably popular back in the 70’s too.

Welcome.
If your dad built the Hawken from a kit, the most common were CVA and Thompson Center. I’m not sure that either of their full size guns were prone to cracking but the T/C scaled down .45 guns sure are. I’m not sure when the Seneca was introduced? Post a picture of it and I’m sure someone here can tell you what it is.
Edit: Dixie Gun Works kits were probably popular back in the 70’s too.
My brother got my Dad's Hawkins which was definitely a Thompson, big, long, heavy and silver colored barrel. The one that I just purchased is a Navy Arms muzzleloader and it was the one that I had heard might crack the stock if too much powder was used. Definately not the same size stock as my dads. The Navy Arms 50 is also the one I'm looking for information on.. I'll get pics of it and post. Thanks for the reply

Hey All,
Brand new to muzzle loading subjects after I was presented with a beautiful muzzle loader someone wanted to get rid of. Clean beautiful octagonal barrel with a LEFT side hammer, which is really what caught my eye. After the hand over, looked and found the following
Navy Arms CO, Ridgefield, NJ U.S.A (right side of the rear sight, I called the modern Navy Arms Inc and got the story about the old Navy Arms CO.)
I'm guessing from the trigger guard that this is a Hawkins, but as far as purchase date or model run, left hand hammer, ext, no idea. Anyone that can help?

Also, my father built a hawkins (not Navy Arms) in the 1970's and had it hanging in the house for the rest of his life. Only shot it a few times, I was wondering if anyone had information on the load and round this was built for? I saw on here somewhere that these tend to crack the stock if loaded with too much powder. Any copies of manuals out there?

Any information would help out in the story.
Thank You
You might try a .490 lead round ball with a .015 lubed patch. A good rule of thumb for black powder or substitutes (Pyrodex, 777, etc.) is start with the same number of grains as the caliber. In this case, 50gr for .50 caliber. NEVER use smokeless powder. Good luck and good shooting! Welcome!

Pictures of the muzzle loader I'm looking for information on.
I'm guessing from the trigger guard that this is a Hawkins, but as far as purchase date or model run, left hand hammer, ext, no idea. Anyone that can help? 20220326_113712.jpg20220326_113624.jpg20220326_113552.jpg20220326_113745.jpg20220326_113732.jpg20220326_113802.jpg20220326_114050.jpg20220326_113712.jpg20220326_113624.jpg20220326_113552.jpg20220326_113745.jpg20220326_113732.jpg20220326_113802.jpg20220326_114050.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy. Nice rifle.

Welcome from AL. Wish I could help you. Hope I don’t run into a pretty left handed rifle like that. I’d be so tempted!

Latest posts

Back