Breaking in a new varmint rifle!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franksauto

Reaction score
I recently picked up a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint heavy barrel in .223. Today I finally had a chance to work up some loads and fire it. This was sighted in and shooting 3 shot groups like this at 100yds after only 4 shots. Man what a tack driver. Loads were 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint, 24gr of H335, Winchester brass and CCI benchrest primers with a OAL of 2.92".
I love this thing already! Now to put the smack down on some coyotes!!!

Nice group! My main varmint rifle is the same model but in 22-250 and its also a tack driver. I've upgraded the stock to a bell and Carlson medalist and that was a huge improvement. I'm bringing about 800 rounds for it on my annual prairie dog trip in 2 weeks and I hope all I'm bring home is brass! Enjoy the new toy.

Great shooting! Looks like I'm going to have to give H335 a try.

Nice Group, a 223 is a great varmint caliber, I have one and I also use a 22-250 and a 243.

muzzle-loader said:
Nice Group, a 223 is a great varmint caliber, I have one and I also use a 22-250 and a 243.

.243 will be my next toy. I dont have a rifle yet but I am all set up to reload. I have RCBS dies, brass, bullets, etc... Just trying to decide on which make and model I want.

Very nice shooting there. I shoot a Savage 110 in 243 for woodchucks. I'm feeding it the Hornady Superformance 58 gr. V-Max. I took one out at 221 yds. last weekend. Needless to say they don't far after being hit.

Hornet22savage said:
Very nice shooting there. I shoot a Savage 110 in 243 for woodchucks. I'm feeding it the Hornady Superformance 58 gr. V-Max. I took one out at 221 yds. last weekend. Needless to say they don't far after being hit.
I was thinking I might go with either a Savage or maybe a Browning in .243. I love the Remington 700 but want to try someting different.

I have to admit that I'm impressed by my Savage. It's a pre accutrigger model and the trigger was horrible. I followed the reccomendations of a member on another forum and polished everything, I also backed down the trigger pull screw a half turn. It passed all of the saftey checks and is a pleasure to shoot. I my self was a Remington guy but this was too good of a deal to pass on.

Back