Breech plug lube?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchop401

Reaction score
Well fellas , I was just getting schooled on how to avoid a misfire on the first shot after cleaning buy the fine folks on this forum when I was wandering about my breech plug lube habits. I basically have 3 options at the moment. 1. CVA breech plug grease, 2 copper base never sieze , 3 a molley based extreme pressure never sieze intended for stainless. I am pretty spairing with all of it trying to keep it out of the combustion chamber.

I used CVA breech plug grease and when I ran out, I found a tube of lithium grease in the barn. Been using that now. Just lightly on the threads of the breech plug. No problems with it yet.

Yep, I use a light coat of grease. When I get ready to hunt or shoot I snap a few caps to clean the plug. Then swab and clean the barrel with a few patches. Im sure a little grease remains in the chamber but has not been a problem for me. My newly purchased Knight Elite with a SSK conversion to primer only is so tight the gases do not get into the grease. I may not even need it but I always use a little.

I started out using grease but for several years now nothing but teflon tape. Peel the tape off after shooting and end up with totally clean threads.

Most any grease, or anti-seize will work. (Almost) Anything is better than noting!

I have tried the teflon tape on several rifles. I will use it now, if I cannot find any anto-sieze. The tape balls up and causes minor problems, that you do not have with anti-sieze.

I have tried the teflon tape on several rifles. I will use it now, if I cannot find any anto-sieze. The tape balls up and causes minor problems, that you do not have with anti-sieze.

I encountered that with Teflon Tape as well, The times that Teflon Tape worked, it worked VERY well :lewis: But the Times it failed, it Failed VERY well, Which left me with a Seized Breech Plug to deal with. When you are putting the Plug in you cannot see what’s happening? It becomes a Guessing Game, Did the Teflon Tape Make it? Or did it Fail? Teflon Tape is EASILY Damaged, Certain oils can make Teflon Tape a MESS, I tried to lightly oil the Teflon Taped Plug with Lucas Red Gun Oil for added security, But the Tape reacted BADLY to the Oil, I was never able to get a Teflon Taped Plug in With Gun Oil on it

With Breech Plug Grease you KNOW it’s on there :lewis: I stil had Seized Breech Plugs, (I shoot Real Blackpowder EXCLUSIVELY in ALL of my Rifles) I used my Steam Cleaner to Help break the Seized Plugs Free.

I normally use some lube, choke tube lube, gorilla grease, or whatever. I think tape is fine too.

With any, leave two or so threads alone near the front, don’t want excess anywhere near the flame area.

Another key is to remove the plug routinely. Mine are either out, or lubed/greased & lightly in position. Before loading I ensure all is clean, clear, & dry 1st. If one removes routinely, the exact type of lube or tape is less critical.
If one is worried about losing the plug during off times, lube it & put it loosely in position.

I use Teflon tape, 2 wraps of the threads and it has never failed me with any of the substitute, and that includes the original substitute that we commonly refer to as smokeless powder. In some instances I will also lube the surface layer of tape sparingly with copper bearing anti seize commonly available at any auto parts store in small tubes. ( ask for oxygen sensor safe anti seaze ) That is to allow it to the tape, to glide in the threads easier. I have also over lapped the end of the plug slightly with tape to help it seal where it should squarly butt up against the step in the barrel to give a better seal.

I have always told people grease is your friend! I use the tape to close up the tolerance of the manufacturer that has made the barrel and the plug to both +- tolerances, not an opinion but fact. If your BP wiggles in the threads as most do when threaded in, then there is lots of room for fouling. IMHO, If the threads of the barrel are not smooth then it can rip, roll, ball, ball up your tape, so a little grease on the tape will help.

Did you notice I reffered to the copper bearing antiseize as oxygen sennsor safe, yes it is. It is designed for high heat applications. exhaust pipe applications, so if you ever have to apply heat to remove a sticky plug it will not cook out and turn in to just more carbon.

Good luck,

Ken

I use Teflon tape, 2 wraps of the threads and it has never failed me with any of the substitute, and that includes the original substitute that we commonly refer to as smokeless powder. In some instances I will also lube the surface layer of tape sparingly with copper bearing anti seize commonly available at any auto parts store in small tubes. ( ask for oxygen sensor safe anti seaze ) That is to allow it to the tape, to glide in the threads easier. I have also over lapped the end of the plug slightly with tape to help it seal where it should squarly butt up against the step in the barrel to give a better seal.

I have always told people grease is your friend! I use the tape to close up the tolerance of the manufacturer that has made the barrel and the plug to both +- tolerances, not an opinion but fact. If your BP wiggles in the threads as most do when threaded in, then there is lots of room for fouling. IMHO, If the threads of the barrel are not smooth then it can rip, roll, ball, ball up your tape, so a little grease on the tape will help.

Did you notice I reffered to the copper bearing antiseize as oxygen sennsor safe, yes it is. It is designed for high heat applications. exhaust pipe applications, so if you ever have to apply heat to remove a sticky plug it will not cook out and turn in to just more carbon.

Good luck,

Ken

Good luck,

Ken

I have used never seize for forty years in my trade and have never had a problem either in high heat or below zero applications...also use it all the time in my savage ML2,s...just put some on about 3-4 thread from face of breech plug ...good to go....!!!

I have been using nickel anti seize with good results,stainless likes to gall , so far never a stuck plug

I recently read an article in one of the machinist's magazines and they recommended copper based anti-seize for stainless steel, aluminum for general use, nickel based for high temps and marine for salt.

Back