Bridgers Best

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Anyone ever try the bridgers best patches? I ordered 300 of them as I am down in stock for .020" patches. I have a bunch of patch material, just no precut patches.

Their cleaning patches (3" square) were too thick. Never tried the shooting patches.

I've used them. Seemed as good as Eastern Maine's. Only patches I've had problems with were Muzzleloading Originals. Thinner than advertised and loose weave.

The ones I bought from October Country are the only pre-cut, pre-lubed patches I have ever used....always used ticking with spit, bear grease or mink oil. Went to these OC patches because I needed a thinner patch with the .600 balls I'm using.

Got'em today!

One side is super rough! I like that side, so I lubed it lightly wth my anti-rust lube and loaded up the hawken woodsman flintlock. SUUUUUUPER smooth and easy for a .020" patch! I think I may switch to these if they offer accuracy.

I like the rough side as I find that textured side, seems to cut through fouling a lot better than the smooth, tight weave side.
img_8524.jpg

FrontierGander said:
Got'em today!

One side is super rough! I like that side, so I lubed it lightly wth my anti-rust lube and loaded up the hawken woodsman flintlock. 

I like the rough side as I find that textured side, seems to cut through fouling a lot better than the smooth, tight weave side.
I started this firm then sold it to Jim Bowman who still makes the patches. 

The reason for one side being fluffy (rough) and the other side being smooth was done originally for the Olympic Committee Training Center in Colorado Springs. They wanted a cleaning patch as described for cleaning their target rifles used for different events. 

My neighbor was an instructor/trainer for the shooting events, he found that the normal cleaning patch (fuzz on both sides) would leave a fuzz build up it the chamber when cleaned. This could/would effect the line bore of the cartridge. 

The Olympic Committee tried to get someone to make the patches described (one side being fluffy (rough) and the other side being smooth) to correct their issues. None of today's manufacturers were interested in producing these patches.

I had a 60 ton press and was asked if I could cut cleaning patches, checked how this was done, order several gang dies and found the material in Denver. First order was for 100,000 patches from the Committee, a new business was started, Jim Bowman rented a house down the street from me, I put him to work. In time I was so busy with wholesale muzzleloading supplies "Buckhorn LTD" that I sold him the patch business.  Fun times to remember ....

I ordered a few hundred .015" bridgers best patches a few days ago and got them today. One thing thats awesome is that they are WHITE, like cotton white and show up easily on the ground. I took a few shots at 50 yards this evening with them and they load a bit tighter than the TC .015" patches, but seem to hold up a lot better.

Plan on sitting down for some shooting tomorrow if the weather doesn't dump buckets of rain on me.

FrontierGander said:
I ordered a few hundred .015" bridgers best patches a few days ago and got them today. One thing thats awesome is that they are WHITE, like cotton white ...... 
 When we started Bridger's Best all the patching material purchased is 100% white cotton no matter what the thickness. I spent several hours at a whole yard goods place in Denver CO measuring their goods. Once selected you have .005, .010, .015, .020, and .020 knap on one side and clean on the other side (special cleaning patches for the Olympic Center in the Colorado Springs), plus the knap on both sides in .022 (military weight cleaning patches). Six to eight rolls of cloth at 125 yards per roll that would only last a few months. When I got back from Denver to the Loveland area I was soaked watching the rain clouds for 80 miles. White has always been the color of choice at worst case an off white if what you mentioned wasn't available.

Kentucky Colonel said:
Wow. Cool story

KC the Olympic Center in the Colorado Springs would place orders of 100,000 cleaning patches at a time. I had gang molds made that would cut 25 patches at a time. Then you layer 25 sheets of cotton on top of each other on the press table. Make sure your hands are clear with the 60,000 lb press then hit the press foot petal. Bang you have 625 single patches per cut, didn't take long to fill the order. I made a deal with their committee that the 5th order would be a freebie, they ate that one up to get a freebie once a year.

I don't know if the current owner of BE is still cutting for the Olympic Center or not, know several other firms found where I was getting my yard goods in Denver?

Well, Last night I lubed a bunch of the .015" patches and loaded up for tomorrow. Those went down much easier! I bulk lubed them and they soaked up more lube this time VS hand rubbing the lube on. I must have got it to thin the first time around. Very smooth loading and easy.

well with all of the KUDDO'S on them I'll get me some!

Latest posts

Back