Broke The White

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dad was shooting his g97 whitetail 50 cal today, 100 grains of loose pyrodex P with a 440 grain bullet and it broke BOTH recoil lugs and the stock fell off. I have heard of this happening with the single lug guns. Crazy experience. I am going to tig weld them back on and bed the action. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them.

My dad was shooting his g97 whitetail 50 cal today, 100 grains of loose pyrodex P with a 440 grain bullet and it broke BOTH recoil lugs and the stock fell off. I have heard of this happening with the single lug guns. Crazy experience. I am going to tig weld them back on and bed the action. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them.
This is why bedding is so valuable to do also . Not just for accuracy . A little SLOP becomes a battering ram on lugs . Too easy to do to prevent damage like you got now . After you fix that lug you should get that little detail taken care of !!! Jb weld epoxy , some tape , and a can of spray teflon dry lube from the makers of pb plaster penetrating oil is just about all it takes . Oh yea a bungie cord too . Then if you want you could pillar bed it afterwards as well . Easy stuff and it helps EVERYTHING !!!

This is why bedding is so valuable to do also . Not just for accuracy . A little SLOP becomes a battering ram on lugs . Too easy to do to prevent damage like you got now . After you fix that lug you should get that little detail taken care of !!! Jb weld epoxy , some tape , and a can of spray teflon dry lube from the makers of pb plaster penetrating oil is just about all it takes . Oh yea a bungie cord too . Then if you want you could pillar bed it afterwards as well . Easy stuff and it helps EVERYTHING !!!

Like a few other things with inline Rifles that come to mind, WHY AREN’T THESE “Little detail” THINGS DONE FROM THE FACTORY BEFORE THEY GET TO THE CUSTOMER? Instead of being the Customers Responsibility to fix these things that the Manufacturer should have already had done!!!!! Makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to me? Buy something so you can Work on it/Fix it?

Like a few other things with inline Rifles that come to mind, WHY AREN’T THESE “Little detail” THINGS DONE FROM THE FACTORY BEFORE THEY GET TO THE CUSTOMER? Instead of being the Customers Responsibility to fix these things that the Manufacturer should have already had done!!!!! Makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to me? Buy something so you can Work on it/Fix it?
Seems like thats just how it is . Cf and inlines need tbis . No different to me than the burr you removed on that "custom" sidelock really .
My trucks no different either . Stock mpg was 14/20 now 27/35 mpg . Simple changes . Thats a V8 too .
Guess its a matter of knowing how and willingness to put forth the effort . Mass production vs cost doesnt allow for that in anything . The rest is the give-a-damn factor.......

Seems like thats just how it is . Cf and inlines need tbis . No different to me than the burr you removed on that "custom" sidelock really .
My trucks no different either . Stock mpg was 14/20 now 27/35 mpg . Simple changes . Thats a V8 too .
Guess its a matter of knowing how and willingness to put forth the effort . Mass production vs cost doesnt allow for that in anything . The rest is the give-a-damn factor.......

The Flash Channel Burr I removed was from a Stock, Factory NEW, Old Gun, NOT a CUSTOM, Where did you get “Custom” From?

I understand what you are saying, it’s just RIDICULOUS when a guy buys something that he has to Work on in order to make it worth a half sack of Beans from the GET GO. More of a Reason to ANNY UP and have a Custom Rifle Built i suppose? I read the inline Section and it BLOWS MY MIND at all of the Tinkering Required to Get a Rifle ignition Sealed, You would Think this Stuff would be DONE When you Buy the Gun? How many new Guy’s that Buy a New rifle will understand how to do these things? My bet is VERY FEW, if ANY? They Shoot the Gun, or Try to Shoot it, They Have Mediocre luck with it, Sell it and Move on. Not everyone does these Forums.

These Manufacturers REALLY NEED to ad a little note in the Rifle Box That Say’s “We STRONGLY advise you to go to the Modernmuzzleloader forum and learn how to Fix this BRAND NEW Rifle BEFORE you attempt to Shoot it, otherwise failure awaits you!!!”

like you said Vehicles as well, I went through 2 Brand New Exhaust Manifolds in my Truck, they would Break for whatever reason, after a Certain amount of time? They came up with a Fix a Few years later, Which i had to Pay for :)

Last edited:
The Flash Channel Burr I removed was from a Stock, Factory NEW, Old Gun, NOT a CUSTOM, Where did you get “Custom” From?

I understand what you are saying, it’s just RIDICULOUS when a guy buys something that he has to Work on in order to make it worth a half sack of Beans from the GET GO. More of a Reason to ANNY UP and have a Custom Rifle Built i suppose? I read the inline Section and it BLOWS MY MIND at all of the Tinkering Required to Get a Rifle ignition Sealed, You would Think this Stuff would be DONE When you Buy the Gun? How many new Guy’s that Buy a New rifle will understand how to do these things? My bet is VERY FEW, if ANY? They Shoot the Gun, or Try to Shoot it, They Have Mediocre luck with it, Sell it and Move on. Not everyone does these Forums.

These Manufacturers REALLY NEED to ad a little note in the Rifle Box That Say’s “We STRONGLY advise you to go to the Modernmuzzleloader forum and learn how to Fix this BRAND NEW Rifle BEFORE you attempt to Shoot it, otherwise failure awaits you!!!”

like you said Vehicles as well, I went through 2 Brand New Exhaust Manifolds in my Truck, they would Break for whatever reason, after a Certain amount of time? They came up with a Fix a Few years later, Which i had to Pay for :)
Yep and its a gun for petes sake !!! But most of these companies are small operations and couldnt afford the labor to have em right . IDK why the cnc stuff is allowed to stack up tolerances so bad . Or designs arent tweaked so a fix is just a simple adjustment !!! Give-a-damn factor gets the blame if you ask me . We better get back to topic .

Last edited:
You know us men! even if it was perfect, we would find something to “fix”!

maybe they just know their market and did it on purpose so we didn’t spend time on things that don’t need, fixin....

Last edited:
Yea my truck gets 14/11...
Back to the gun just do as ed says and give doc a shout . He will take care of you

What did you do to get better mpg?
Well its a Chevy with a v8 LS engine . That makes it a good head start !!! Very advanced engine design !!! Theres quite a list !!!!
1)cold air HUGE filter intake system
2) granetelli cold air mass air sensor
3) .015 larger sparkplug gaps--(NGK or Denso)
4)ported throttle body w butterfly thinned and outer edge sharpened down to a knife edge--(sensitivity)
5) removed insulated air dams from bottom ends of intake manifold--no more oven !!!
6)made a air scoop behind grill to feed air box
7) ran fresh cool air via tubeing to bottom of intake manifold
8) removed mechanical cooling fan and installed thermo sensored elec. Fans
9) insulated air intake tube .
All of this to increase efficiency and better obey physical laws . Not much yet alot . Truck got Really powerful too . Tows like a mad man !!! Lol.
Ive engineered stuff for racing all my life Toytruck . I just scaled it down . My computer was left stock too !!!! Runs gooooood !!!! Its all about volumetric efficiency , and that is TORQUE .

Last edited:
I
Lol !!!! Your funny !!!
It can be done , even by a clown like me !!!!
All the answers are always found in the rules of this worlds game ---The Laws of Physics . Even for guns truthfully . Everything........this is what the Lord gave us . He dont make junk !!!

Latest posts

Back