Broken Welds on CVA Optima Handrail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sy p

Reaction score
My handrail had some movement on a CVA Optima. Once I removed the handrail I noticed the attachment point welds have broken off. Not really sure how that happens. I've contacted CVA to see about warranty, but muzzleloader season is on and I don't imagine this will be fixed within the next couple weeks. Anyone know if it's safe to fire an Optima without the handrail attached? Is it just there to provide comfort and a place to keep the ramrod? Or does it provide some sort of structural importance to the rifle.
If anyone has run into this problem how was it resolved? Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20231030_052445376.jpg
    PXL_20231030_052445376.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
You can get a product called JB-Weld. It's an apoxy. It should work OK to reattach the "lug" until you can get it properly welded back on.
The rail you describe, is actually called the forend.
Worst case, put the forend back in place and a few wraps of good old duct tape around the the barrel and you're back in business.

it could be soft soldered for the short term, depending on your skill level. That might discolor the finish, but better than nothing. If you use duct tape make sure that you get the camo version.😂

Latest posts

Back