Bullet recommendations?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby5

Reaction score
I have a T/C omega and was curious what bullets you guys would recommend for deer inside 100 yards. i hunt mostly woods so long range isnt that big of a concern id rather have good knockdown or a good blood trail because its pretty thick. I was looking at the barnes expander mz in 300 grain but ill take all the help i can get if there a better bullet out there. Im running bh209 if that makes a difference. I usually use a shotgun and used the winchester xp3 sabot slugs at 300 grain 1900 fps and killed dozens of big bodied deer and mostly where bang flops. I was trying to mimic that shotgun load or come as close as i can or if there is something out there better.
Thanks for the help

I pretty much only shoot traditional sidelock rifles. Patched round ball but for a conical bullet, I always liked the TC maxi hunters in 275 grain. Shoot straight and easy loading.

They must quit making the Barnes expander I can’t find them in stock anywhere. Is there any bullet better or equivalent?
Thanks

I am sure there are some expanders out there - but here is an alternative that I have been using for elk and deer.

Misc_Pics.jpg

265-LD-452x265-CF.jpg

https://www.lehighdefense.com/all/452-controlled-fracturing-muzzleloader-265gr-bullet

I like the TC Shockwaves. Cheap to target practice with and they have performed well for me.

I have a T/C omega and was curious what bullets you guys would recommend for deer inside 100 yards. i hunt mostly woods so long range isnt that big of a concern id rather have good knockdown or a good blood trail because its pretty thick. I was looking at the barnes expander mz in 300 grain but ill take all the help i can get if there a better bullet out there. Im running bh209 if that makes a difference. I usually use a shotgun and used the winchester xp3 sabot slugs at 300 grain 1900 fps and killed dozens of big bodied deer and mostly where bang flops. I was trying to mimic that shotgun load or come as close as i can or if there is something out there better.
Thanks for the help
Barnes line of bullets are great if accurate in your gun. They leave great blood trails but usually DRT.

The gun came with a box of 50 Hornady FTX 250 grain. How well do these perform compared to the Barnes. Would it be worth keeping these are do the barnes perform alot better?

The gun came with a box of 50 Hornady FTX 250 grain. How well do these perform compared to the Barnes. Would it be worth keeping these are do the barnes perform alot better?
Go Barnes and don't look back. Get them early as they are hard to find at times.

I have been using Barnes TE-Z, and the Barnes Expanders MZ for the last 7 years with excellent results, both in 250 grain. Farthest a deer has gone is 40 yards, Ive watched every deer drop.

The Remington 250 grain bullets I’ve been shooting from my Accura are made by Barnes. I’ve only seen one animal taken with them and the bullet worked flawlessly. It was my sons first buck he has taken, it was this year. It was a slightly quartering, frontal shot, at about 80 yards.
He hit him just inside the front right shoulder, the bullet passed all the way through the internals to the rear left leg, breaking the bone, and ended up under the hide at the rump.
I don’t have the bullet in front of me right now, but I’ll try and remember to post a picture of it when I get home.
It’s almost a perfectly symmetrical petal opening IIRC, one just opened a little farther than the others, probably when it smashed through the rear leg.
Needless to say, he was a mess to field dress, and dropped in his tracks.

For your expected ranges, the 250 grain Hornady XTP. 45 caliber will treat you right. I've taken 14 deer with this bullet at ranges from 20 to 150 yards. I have zero complaints.
I kick them out at 1575 fps with 70 grains of 3f Swiss black. You can push them faster. If you think it necessary.
Theyre not expensive either. Always a plus!

I will take those FTX 250 grains they work fine.

300gr regular, not magnum, XTPs. Deadly out to 150yds. East to find, accurate, and inexpensive.View attachment 11229

Nice group! Many people cannot get their centerfire deer rifle to shoot like that.

Although they are difficult to size, I have shot some less than 3" groups at 300 yards with these out of my 1-20 twist Brux 45 caliber LV barrel, in my smokeless muzzle loader.
I cannot figure out why these pistol bullets group like that at 300 yards, but I am not complaining.

Latest posts

Back