Bullet removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipsbay

Reaction score
Part 1
How long do you keep a round in your gun before removing / replacing it. One one website Randy Wakeman recommends changing the powder every day, he says powder is never as good or strong as the day you loaded it....??

Part 2
How do you remove it....shoot it out...bullet puller....push it out thru the breech.
The reason why I ask this....I've always used pellets in the past....I've switched over to loose T7. In the past I would remove the breech plug and push it out...save the bullet (have to use a new sabot) toss the pellets and reload and good to go. Now with loose powder....I don't know that I want to do it this way and get powder all over the place.....shooting a round off where I hunt isn't something I'm overly excited about either. Not that I'm cheap, but using a bullet puller wastes a bullet every day if you agree with Randy's statement above.....??

Well you can unload the breech over a stainless steel bowl and the powder will fall in there. If the bowl is dry, the powder will slide right back out of that bowl into any container you want to store it in. Then you can push out the sabot and bullet. All you have to then replace is the sabot. I then take an air compresser and make sure I blow the breech threads out good in case any loose powder might be there, clean the breech plug, run a dry patch through the barrel and then an oil patch and load brand new the next day.

Save that poured powder if you suspect it went bad. It would make good range powder. Although I have used that powder over the next day and never seemed to have a problem with it going off, or the accuracy.

so how long do you keep a load in your gun.....??
And in an away from home hunt what would you do w/o an air comp. at your finger tips.
The reason why I ask...and I've never had a problem w/ keep a load in my gun for a few days and maybe a week. But I'm going on a hunt, yes, w/ my ML and don't want Murphy along for the ride.

I once kept a load of Pyrodex RS and 410 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet in my TC New Englander almost three months. I shot it on the range and it went right where it should have. The gun had been loaded on a clean barrel - not a fouled one.

My brother-in-law left a similar load in a stainless TC Grayhawk at the end of the deer season one January and fired it off the following October. It too was right on target. Also loaded in a clean barrel.

this weekend i hunted in rain and snow all weekend, our camp is over 2 miles in the woods so no electricity, i ended up just cleaning the gun everyday like after a range session cause the t7 powder gets everywhere! a bit of a pain but better than pulling the trigger on the big boy and hearing no boom!

Back