Bullet to bore accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to foul my smokeless barrel with one shot before shooting at the range or going hunting. I have my bullets sized accordingly for the fouling.
I shoot Barnes TEZ copper bullets mostly. Also shoot XTP's, SST's and some Pittman's. I use Wipe-Out Patch-Out to clean my smokeless barrel. It never shows signs of copper fouling. I see plenty of copper fouling using the same cleaner on my centerfire rifles though. I'm guessing my smokeless ML isn't pushing the bullets fast enough to cause any copper fouling.

Ty all, i was pondering the same thoughts Hatchet Jack, that maybe the muzzy fps., was not fast enough to coat the rifling with copper or maybe the bullets we use are made of a different alloy of copper, that is why people are saying they see no residual copper coating their barrels? What are the feelings of others? Great question in my opinion as i do not know the answer either. Ty

Ty all, i was pondering the same thoughts Hatchet Jack, that maybe the muzzy fps., was not fast enough to coat the rifling with copper or maybe the bullets we use are made of a different alloy of copper, that is why people are saying they see no residual copper coating their barrels? What are the feelings of others? Great question in my opinion as i do not know the answer either. Ty
Centerfire bullets are also larger diameter (in relation to bore size) than ML bullets are. The tighter "squeeze" may also add to the copper depositing

I have read that after breaking in a new barrel, some bench rest shooters will not clean their bore until they have accuracy issues. There again some clean after every so many shots. This bullet to bore style muzzleloading is new to me. Where do you all stand on when, where and how to clean your bores to get the most accurate groups. Ty shorty.
I treat my smokeless just like a rifle I never go hunting with a clean bore always at least one foul shot few preferred and with smokeless you really don't have to worry about cleaning it right away

My Teslong bore scope is probably best maintenance tool I ever bought.

I’ll wait until my Patriot loses accuracy before I clean it for first time - then I’ll decide how often I need to clean it. I’ll probably clean it with Wipe-Out foam just like I do with my centerfires
Just got my Teslong yesterday. 169.00 on Amazon. I was surprised by what I found. Checking all my rifles and pistols now.

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_111404253.jpg
    IMG_20220924_111404253.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back