Buying My First Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided after many years of thinking about getting a muzzleloader, it finally time to break down and buy one. I was wondering what suggestions you guys would have on my first muzzleloader, I've put my spending limit in the $500 range might spend a little more if I think the gun is worth it. any input would be apriciated.

PS I will most likely be getting a .50 Cal Modern Muzzlerloader

whitetailslayer said:
I've decided after many years of thinking about getting a muzzleloader, it finally time to break down and buy one. I was wondering what suggestions you guys would have on my first muzzleloader, I've put my spending limit in the $500 range might spend a little more if I think the gun is worth it. any input would be apriciated.

Would that be $500 limit on gun AND optics, or $500 for just the gun?

Hey Whitetailslayer,
I'm not sure if its "legal" where you live, but the Savage shooting smokeless powder IMO can't be beat! They are very easy to care for and are very accurate. What else could you ask for?

I would be taking a good, hard look at the .50 Omega, stainless/synthetic in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum! Asking price is ONLY $275 for a brand new, never shot stainless Omega! :shock: Put a VX-I on that and you've got yourself a heck of a muzzleloader that your friends will envy! Like DeerNut said, if it's legal in your area and you want to spend the $$, the Savage is awfully nice too. BUT, you'll end up with a little more cash outlay for it.

I would be taking a good, hard look at the .50 Omega, stainless/synthetic in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum! Asking price is ONLY $275 for a brand new, never shot stainless Omega! Put a VX-I on that and you've got yourself a heck of a muzzleloader that your friends will envy!

I like that idea!

doegirl said:
whitetailslayer said:

Would that be $500 limit on gun AND optics, or $500 for just the gun?

Thats just the for the Gun, I'll spend another $200 - $250 for just the scope. By the way I live in iowa and no some of the regs on Muzzleloaders but not sure about smokeless muzzleloaders, I have been leaning towards getting an Omega or a Pro Hunter, but not so sure I'm ready to shell out the $699 for a Pro Hunter

The rifle, mounts, scope - and it doesn't end there by a long shot. There is also the slim chance you might not like muzzleloading at all, some folks don't. So I would recommend a rifle of good quality but not on the hi-end so far as price as a first muzzleloader.

A Huntsman/Sidekick, synth/SS, with the NEF scope base and hammer extender might be a good starting point. Would recommend a fairly compact scope such as the Nikon Prostaff 2-7. QD rings are a great enhancement.

Then... powder, bullets, sabots if needed, wads if needed, primers, cleaning rod/range rod, jags, brushes, patches, solvents, ...

Underclocked said:
The rifle, mounts, scope - and it doesn't end there by a long shot. There is also the slim chance you might not like muzzleloading at all, some folks don't. So I would recommend a rifle of good quality but not on the hi-end so far as price as a first muzzleloader.

A Huntsman/Sidekick, synth/SS, with the NEF scope base and hammer extender might be a good starting point. Would recommend a fairly compact scope such as the Nikon Prostaff 2-7. QD rings are a great enhancement.

Then... powder, bullets, sabots if needed, wads if needed, primers, cleaning rod/range rod, jags, brushes, patches, solvents, ...

Great point...Then move up from there... This will also make a great "buddy" gun when a friend wants to join in....

I won't speak for everyone, but I will assume alot of muzzleloader hunters are like me, in that, when I used to shoot a knight Muzzleloader I shot it as little as possible because I hated cleaning the darn thing. When I came home from an extended session at the range, the last thing my wife wanted to hear from me, was I now needed to spend an hour or more cleaning my gun. And, come the end of hunting season, it always seemed I had a little bit of rust somewhere on my Knight. After owning my knight for about 15 years, I probably shot it less than 100 times. I've owned my Savage for 2 years, and I've shot it 5X that much and really enjoy it and when I come home from the range I take my gun downstairs and then immediately start earning browny points by looking after the kids, etc.

From what I can tell, it looks like you could get a Savage for about $550 (probably less)

Here's one for $480 http://www.coyoteguns.com/Savage.htm

I agree with DeerNut. The Omega is a great gun though. And for a blackpowder gun...it is really easy to clean :D

I have a package gun with accu-trigger NIB ---PM me if you are interested.

10mlss11xp.jpg

Cleaning your weapon is part of shooting. Some people don't like to take showers either. No matter what weapon you're using, it needs to be clean.

skamaniac said:
Cleaning your weapon is part of shooting. Some people don't like to take showers either. No matter what weapon you're using, it needs to be clean.

SOLUTION:

Take a SHOWER with your MZ!! :lol:

Cleaning a Savage is like having a shower, cleaning a regular ML is like showering with a pressure washer for 30 minutes. :lol:

And, trust me, I still know what it means to clean a Muzzleloader. My dad shoots a traditions tracker with triple 7 and I take care of it and do the cleaning for him. I'm trying to convince him to go smokeless so I still don't have to spend as much time cleaning his firearm. This is just an opinion and if you have lots of time (I don't) and don't mind the extra work, great. Personally, at the end of a long hard day of hunting the last thing I feel like doing is cleaning a muzzleloader. Maybe I'm the minority on this, but this sentiment seems unanimous among my muzzle loading friends.

skamaniac said:

Yes, but it takes me all of 10 minutes to clean my 10ML at the end of the day, and I don't ever use water in it which would increase the chance of rusting.

Whitetailslayer: Don't rule out the original Encore, either. The Prohunter is cool, but the price tag is steep. If you become interested in smokeless, CALL your state DNR for a definitive answer on it's legality. Unless someone here hunts Iowa and knows.

doegirl said:
Whitetailslayer: Don't rule out the original Encore, either. The Prohunter is cool, but the price tag is steep. If you become interested in smokeless, CALL your state DNR for a definitive answer on it's legality. Unless someone here hunts Iowa and knows.

Smokeless IS legal in Iowa 8)

I have an original Encore which I love. The Prohunter looks to be the real deal but it is expensive. You can probably get an original Encore for $500 or so. I like them because of the wide variety of barrels you can get for them.
If you are just looking for a muzzleloader the Omega is a fine choice as well.
I would suggest going to a gun shop and handling a few different guns and buy what feels most comfortable to you. Let us know what you decide on.

Mike

Latest posts

Back