Buying over the Internet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Instead of blurring a previous post, thought I’d share something the my wife’s uncle told me years ago as his dad (wife’s g-dad) was the local Postmaster.

When buying a ML (or anything) from someone or over the Internet - try to pay with a US Postal Service Money Order. If the MO is cashed and the item is not sent, that is mail fraud. You then have the USPost Office in your side to either get your $ back or the item.

I’ve never had a bad experience over the Internet buying a ML from an individual.
I hope I never have to use the USPO.

Last year my money order went missing for quite some time, I then paid the guy via PayPal, then after I received the gun the money order showed up. Thank god I was dealing with a very honest guy . He sent me a check and everything was fine. The gun was mint and worth the aggravation. I must say the post office in my town was not very helpful, they couldn’t find it with tracking and they didn’t seem to care.

Thanks for the information. Condition always concerns me more than anything.

When not using a reputable auction site, and you're buying a ML off the web, always insist on an agreement via email with both parties including name/adress/serial number agreed upon price. This means that you've entered into a contract. If the seller won't send your rifle you can then get the local cops involved. If the seller won't agree, I don't buy. Always send you're payment USPS Two Day Priority with a signiture.

I've never been stiffed on a peice, but I've had a few misrepresented/junk. On those you're screwed

When not using a reputable auction site, and you're buying a ML off the web, always insist on an agreement via email with both parties including name/adress/serial number agreed upon price. This means that you've entered into a contract. If the seller won't send your rifle you can then get the local cops involved. If the seller won't agree, I don't buy. Always send you're payment USPS Two Day Priority with a signiture.

I've never been stiffed on a peice, but I've had a few misrepresented/junk. On those you're screwed
I bought a .504 Whitetail off of gunbroker and when it showed up, it hadn’t even been cleaned. Pretty disappointed....

Armslist is a Risky place, I have bought 2 Rifles on it, I was able to Drive 20 minutes to 1 of them, the other was from Kentucky, Those 2 transactions were Good ones. I have also had 2 Odd deals on there, 1 guy would not Talk over the Phone, ONLY Text message, Said he Would Call but never Did? Several Days of Text messages went By without a Call, he Simply would NOT Talk on the Phone, Even claimed to Be Sick, i Quit Talking to the Guy. He continued to send Txt messages for a Month, Even Saying he would Give me the Rifle :D I have read some Armslist Horror Stories

Armslist is a Risky place, I have bought 2 Rifles on it, I was able to Drive 20 minutes to 1 of them, the other was from Kentucky, Those 2 transactions were Good ones. I have also had 2 Odd deals on there, 1 guy would not Talk over the Phone, ONLY Text message, Said he Would Call but never Did? Several Days of Text messages went By without a Call, he Simply would NOT Talk on the Phone, Even claimed to Be Sick, i Quit Talking to the Guy. He continued to send Txt messages for a Month, Even Saying he would Give me the Rifle :D I have read some Armslist Horror Stories
I bought 3 off armslist all good, but it is risky, I have seen the same add on gb as armslist with different states

I had a deal gone bad. It was rifle parts not a whole rifle. The parts were never shipped to me, after 10+ years I think it is pretty safe to say they never will be. After the fact I looked up the guys handle on Google and found I wasn't his first victim. Now I do a bit of research on the seller before I send any payment.
I had paid this swindler by a USPO money order. I found them to be less than helpful in taking any action afterwords.

I’ve sold several rifles and guns on Armslist by face to face only.

Not into sending MO - PayPal only for me.

I’m glad to know the USPO Money Order still works (I have used it many times on many ML purchases over the years) as no one has ever sent one that was cashed and the product not delivered.
Maybe the recipients know it’s a federal crime to do so.

Hmm, well it sure didn't mean didley doo doo on the transaction I described above and the Postal service didn't do squat about it.

Alot depends on your local postmaster, if they want to pursue it then your good to go but if they are lazy and don't want to mess with it then not so much.. We had a good postmaster for years now not so much:)

I have bought 3 guns on Armslist over the years. One from a gun shop, one from a pawn shop and one from a private seller who I spoke to on the phone prior to sending him a check. All three transactions went smooth.
I also had to stop payment on a check on another private seller that went bad.
I found that dealing with gun shops and pawn shops who advertise on Armlist you will pretty much be safe. However their definition of good condition and yours may not always be the same.

Hmm, well it sure didn't mean didley doo doo on the transaction I described above and the Postal service didn't do squat about it.
Sorry, I missed your last sentence in your initial post.
Postmaster is supposed to verify information on MO with valid ID..

Use PayPal or credit card if possible. They help recover the funds if things go wrong.

Never bought or sold on armslist or gb but have off of this board and one other with nothing but good to report of the transactions.

Back