Cabela's Hawken style muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJimmyW13

Reaction score
I have a Cabela's Inc. Hawkens style percussion muzzleloader.  I cannot find a model number on it, but from what I understand Investarms manufactured it.  Supposedly, their rifles are identical to Lyman's muzzleloaders.  The barrel is 28 inches to the breech plug and it is a .54 caliber rifle. 

My original ram rod fell out somewhere while I was hunting awhile back.  I purchased a universal rod and cut it to size, but I am having a hard time keeping it in the rifle.  It keeps sliding out of the rifle.  When I disassembled it to clean it, I did notice that it didn't have a retention spring in the stock.

I have found a replacement for a CVA Hawken rifle, but not sure that they would work with this rifle because the spring is attached to the front of the 2 lock screws on the CVA rifle and this rifle only has one. 

I have tried bending the rod, but it eventually loses the bend and begins to fall out again.  As for now, I have a rubber band on it to where it doesn't affect the view on the sight, but I hate having the rubber band on there.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Smokin' Joe said:
Hello BigJimmyW13,  You are correct that Cabelas Hawkens and Lyman muzzleloaders are made by Investarm.  I do happen to see a Investarm ramrod on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Investarms-50-54-Cal-RAMROD-Muzzleloader-Rifle-Lyman-Charles-Daly-Cabelas-/312011785127

I couldn't tell you if the CVA retention spring could be used or not but I would keep an eye on eBay.  Guys are always "parting" out muzzleloaders so there could be what your looking for.
Thanks Joe.  I'm not necessarily looking to replace the ramrod, just trying to figure out a way to keep it in the rifle without the use of a rubber band around it and the barrel.  Wasn't sure if there was a "universal" retention spring or an easy way to make one.

There should be a piece of spring steel on the under rib that is supposed to hold the ramrod in place. You may have to bend it down so it makes better contact with the new ram rod. My Lyman has one and I need to bend it down every so often to keep it in contact with the rod...hope this helps.

MattRaymond said:
There should be a piece of spring steel on the under rib that is supposed to hold the ramrod in place. You may have to bend it down so it makes better contact with the new ram rod. My Lyman has one and I need to bend it down every so often to keep it in contact with the rod...hope this helps.
Hey Matt,

Can you post a picture of it?  As mine doesn't have one?  Also, what Lyman do you have?

You can go on the Lyman site and look at the exploded view of the Trade rifle, basically the same as yours except for single trigger...I think that's the only difference but if I'm wrong someone will correct me immediately. You can buy the spring there, ramrod clip spring <a href='/tags/6993102' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6993102'>#6993102</a>.

Vincem said:
You can go on the Lyman site and look at the exploded view of the Trade rifle, basically the same as yours except for single trigger...I think that's the only difference but if I'm wrong someone will correct me immediately. You can buy the spring there, ramrod clip spring <a href='/tags/6993102' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6993102'>#6993102</a>.
Thanks Vince.  I kept trying to look through the Lyman site, but I wasn't finding the clip on there.  With the part number, It should be easy.  I will give it a shot and see if it works.

I have one of those in 58 caliber, and it's very well made- fully up to the standards of a Lyman for a lot less money.  Don't really need a 50 or 54 too, but if I saw one at the right price, quality alone would test my resolve to keep my wallet in my pocket.

I tried one of those plastic fantastic replacement rods on a Lyman GPR, and even with the retention spring still there, that thing would slide half way out under recoil, probably hit the ground if I ever pointed it down.  While waiting for a good replacement I just shoved a wedge of leather between the rod and the barrel rib to put in a little bend and add tension. Worked like a champ, but I carried extra leather scraps in case I lost one when loading.

BrownBear said:
I have one of those in 58 caliber, and it's very well made- fully up to the standards of a Lyman for a lot less money.  Don't really need a 50 or 54 too, but if I saw one at the right price, quality alone would test my resolve to keep my wallet in my pocket.

I tried one of those plastic fantastic replacement rods on a Lyman GPR, and even with the retention spring still there, that thing would slide half way out under recoil, probably hit the ground if I ever pointed it down.  While waiting for a good replacement I just shoved a wedge of leather between the rod and the barrel rib to put in a little bend and add tension. Worked like a champ, but I carried extra leather scraps in case I lost one when loading.

It's pretty much what I wanted and it's a damn fine muzzleloader.  The only complaint I have is the damn rod falls out.  I am thinking about looking for a spring that can fit inside the wood forearm stock.  It's either that or making one. 

I can almost drive nails with it at 50 yards.  After that it starts to drop pretty quick, but then again I do use simple round balls.

I don't think any muzzleloader I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of them, had a spring to keep the ramrod from falling out. Not even the muskets with steel rods.
Figure the diameter you need from what you have and get a wood one. You may need to go a little bigger and work it down a little.

BrownBear said:

Nice solution.  And, it looks all buckskinnery so the ladies at the range all swoon at your approach.   :affraid:

Back