Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my Little Mini Red Rocoto “Overwinter” project, I ended up cutting all of the Long runners back, This Little plant produced a Decent amount of Fruit this summer and was the First to get Ripe. It is actually Growing in here, ZERO artificial light directly on it, in Fact my Blinds are even Drawn So it is not getting ANY sunlight, Just what light is in the House (I guess that is artificial light :lol: ) But DEFINITELY no Grow type light. Hopefully this thing makes it, will give me a GOOD jump start on at least this 1 plant This coming Spring

uuzYPFB.jpg

Trying a picture test here, I need to learn how to make my pics smaller?

VbuBISjm.jpg

Idaholewis said:
Another FINE looking meal GM54!

I am excited to get my pepper seedlings going again, i got hooked this year :yeah: I am gonna go 90% Potted plants this year, The Little Garden is gonna become the Wifes Berry patch (Raspberry, and Stawberry) Ace hardware has 5 Gallon Black plastic pots that i keep picking up when i get a rewards Card, I have close to 20 of them now. Potted is much easier than dealing with the Garden Weeds

If you have Firehouse Subs anywhere near you, they sell their used 5 gal pickle buckets for $2 each. All proceeds go to firemen.

SteveH said:
Idaholewis said:
Another FINE looking meal GM54!

I am excited to get my pepper seedlings going again, i got hooked this year :yeah: I am gonna go 90% Potted plants this year, The Little Garden is gonna become the Wifes Berry patch (Raspberry, and Stawberry) Ace hardware has 5 Gallon Black plastic pots that i keep picking up when i get a rewards Card, I have close to 20 of them now. Potted is much easier than dealing with the Garden Weeds

If you have Firehouse Subs anywhere near you, they sell their used 5 gal pickle buckets for $2 each. All proceeds go to firemen.

I wish we had one of those around here, that’s a heck of a deal! These Pots that i am using are 7.99 a piece, but i wait until i have some 5 and 10 dollar reward Cards, then go in and grab 3 or 4 at a time. These are really nice pots, I think they will last many years? I hope anyway! And being Solid black they Gather Heat really good

Lots of Larger Deli's sell 5 gal buckets around here for $2 also.

Also try Dunkin Donuts. They have 5 gal buckets from icing. Nowadays, most DDs do not make their own donuts on site, you have to find the "master" store that makes the donuts for your area.

I wont go back to hard pots after trying fabric pots. Production difference is pretty substantial.

Get 7 or 10 gallon fabric pots. On the cheap you can use the blue Walmart bags. Get good 16" (across the bottom) saucers or cheap wash pans for the Wally bags. They are like a buck each at Dollar Tree for the wash tubs.

7gal are under $2 each in 5 packs and about $3 for the 10gal
https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-5-Pack ... M3J9E?th=1

You can get them in tan too if you need help keeping them cooler
https://www.amazon.com/247Garden-7-Gall ... B01AU0VGRA

16" Hydrofarm saucers. About $25 per 10 pack
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-HGS16P ... 696011_1_9

GM54, I will definitely order some of these, Is there a Reason you recommend the 7 to 10 over the 5 Gallon? Takes way more to Fill them Suckers up! I remember you posting a link to these before and i was very interested, Do you have a Line on Saucers to set the Fabric Pots in?

Also i am Curious about Durability, Longevity of these Fabric Pots? When you remove a plant at the end of the season, what is your method? Do you have an Area you Dump/Keep the Used Potting mix? Do you Wash the Fabric Pot out good and Dry them for Storage?

There are more expensive brands that may last longer but you will get at least 2-3 seasons. Mine still look just fine. Smart Pot brand are like $7+ each at the hydroshops.

Empty them at the end of the season and store them out of the elements.
DONT use dirt in them....use a potting mix
I dump my mix into a couple large totes at the end of the season. Add a little fresh compost to it and some mild nutrients before the next season.
The last hydrofarm saucer link i posted fit my 7gal pots with room to spare. They should fit the 10gal also but just barely.

Main reason is the bigger the pot the larger the plant can get. Plus 5gal horticulture sizing is smaller than a 5gal bucket A 7gal fabric pot holds close to the same amount as a 5gal bucket. You probably wont be filling all the way to the top.
The actual volume of the 7 gallon is 1509 cubic inches, which equals 6.53 gallons of actual capacity.

5gal Pot Dimension : 12" Diameter 10" Height
7gal Pot Dimension : 13" Diameter 12" Height
10gal Pot Dimension : 15" Diameter 13" Height
3 gallon: 1.99 gallons
5 gallon: 3.93 gallons
7 gallon: 6.53 gallons
10 gallon: 7.47 gallons

I got a different brand but the 247s get great reviews from the guys on thehotpepper forum and the 7gal are slightly cheaper than the Winners
https://www.amazon.com/WINNER-OUTFITTER ... B06XCJ2GX5
lV9JhXg8QJCP._UX970_TTW__.jpg

Made up 750ml of hot cider vinegar. Used all the Sichuan peppers that did not ripen and some green jalapeno/Fresno for flavor. Plus a couple ghost and a bonnet for a bit more heat. Fill the bottle with your peppers. Top it off with vinegar giving the trapped air time to release. Add more vinegar if needed. Once you have enough vinegar pour it into a pan and bring to a boil. Return the boiled vinegar to the bottle and seal. Put it in the cupboard and leave it alone for a couple months or more.
pKiuBf1.jpg

Thank you for the Fabric Pot info, i will be ordering some of them for sure!

MAN! That Hot Cider Vinegar looks REALLY GOOD :yeah:

I might have to get some of those fabric pots as well. The only thing holding me back is laziness. I like my self-watering bucket system because I can go almost a week without worrying about watering them. I am out of town for work at times and unless I get someone to water while I am gone (or set up some other type of timed irrigation system) I will come home to dead plants.

You can buy a DIG 4GPH 12 port drip system for under $15 at Home Cheapo but it will need a timer too. I got a inline filter, PVC/Fittings and pressure regulator. All for under $50. The timer is the expensive part. $50ish for a solar powered or around $30 for battery powered.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Maveric ... /100161477

If you want to try grow bags CHEAP just go to Walmart and get some bags. Then go to Dollar Tree and get the $1 white wash tubs. Drill a hole in the corner about 2" above the bottom. The corner wont get blocked by the bag. You will have $1.50 in each one.
Ssh5iG7.jpg

GM54, That is a HECK of a deal with the Walmart Fabric Bags, and the Dollar store Tubs! I know you have mentioned the Walmart bags before, But Seeing your picture above, and your breakdown on the Cost Sure makes this an AWESOME Option. You have sure gave AWESOME advise in this entire thread, along with links to MANY Products and how to save a few bucks. Thank you for all of your help!! This 4ft Agrobrite 6 Bulb T5 light setup I purchased through your advice is a STELLAR Unit!! I am excited to get it “Lit up” this upcoming season :yeah:

GM54, What Varieties do you plan to Work with this coming season?

New for next year

Sugar Rush Peach....very sweet but also hot baccatum
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion....Very hot ghost and scorpion cross
Zapotec Jalapeno
Thunder Mountain Longhorn....super cool and super long pepper from central China....Dries really well
Bolsa de Dulce. large red sweet baccatum around jalapeno hot...hybrid crossed by Aji Joe IIRC. It`s a baccatum crossed with a sweet habanero.
Aji Jobito...very mild type of habanero from Venezuela
Aji Oro...rocoto that might do better in my climate
Naglah Brown....REALLY HOT cross between the Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah and the Red Bhut Jolokia. It was created by the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University

Returning
Bonnets
Mucho Nacho.....i still think this is one of the best jalapenos. Great size, flavor and heat. My plants are still alive and look good.
Aleppo....the powder is good for nearly anything requiring chile powder. Good producers and good temp tolerance too.
Tekne Dolmasi....best sweet bell i ever tasted
Aji Panca x4....These take forever to ripen but nothing i can think of tastes like them. The powder or paste is mild and simply awesome with beans or meat.....You can get the powder from BurmaSpice or the paste from Zocalo on Amazon

You really should try this stuff on your next Amazon order since its unlikely your season is long enough to grow them.
https://www.amazon.com/Z%C3%B3calo-Peru ... B003D0MP52
https://www.amazon.com/Aji-Panca-Chile- ... CQP46?th=1

The amarillo paste is good too. Sweeter and a bit more heat.
https://www.amazon.com/Zocalo-Peru-Orga ... 0MP3O?th=1

Making Arroz Con Pollo today. (Latin/Spanish style rice and chicken)
1T9uU0T.jpg

phVZS8T.jpg

FYnDmAU.jpg

OSUpc8P.jpg

MRozIAg.jpg

Add the stock and the rice. Boil for a few minutes. Either reduce to a low simmer or toss it in the oven around 190F-200F. Im adding some diced carrots, frozen peas/corn and a little bit of black beans too. Just peas and carrots is the most traditional.
OGt6AuT.jpg

GM54, Your food pics make me hungry EVERYTIME! AWESOME Looking Dish my friend :yeah:

Thank you for the Amazon Links to the Paste and powder, i will DEFINITELY order those on my next Amazon order, I need to get a list together, our neighbor/friend has an Amazon Prime account that we can use anytime, free 2 day shipping

The panca is pretty mild although i havent tried the BurmaSpice powder. My homemade powder is mild. That brand of amarillo paste is also kinda mild but that pepper can get fairly hot. I can eat a spoonful of it no sweat. They sent me the wrong one so i had to buy the panca locally. Its a good brand too but the Zocalo is better. Its just peppers and citric acid.

No salt, vinegar or artificial preservatives added. Flavor of the amarillo paste is like a spicy mango. Sweet and very fruity. The panca flavor is really hard to describe but it rocks with beans.

Latest posts

Back