Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54, Is there a Commercially available Hot sauce that you really like? How about 1 that is SMOKING hot, But has a Good flavor?

Marie Sharps has a couple but the hot ones are on the salty side.

PexPeppers Atom Splitter will set your head on fire and his stuff is top shelf. Low salt and no preservatives other than vinegar. Looks like he is out of that one but other places might have some. I bought his mild one called Taco Fuego and loved it.
https://www.pexpeppers.com/product-cate ... ot-sauces/

Tropical Pepper Co has a couple real scorchers too. Their Scorpion sauce is supposed to be brutal.
https://www.amazon.com/Tropical-Pepper- ... B01ENWWXWI

Smoking deal today on the way home from the market. Our garden shop up the street is going out of business. 60% off on everything and further discounts Friday.

This would have been around $30 even online
1blVjIH.jpg

With tax for 8lbs of good nutrients!!!
IkRCuGc.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Smoking deal today on the way home from the market. Our garden shop up the street is going out of business. 60% off on everything and further discounts Friday.

This would have been around $30 even online

HOLY MOLY! Awesome deal you got there!! I paid 20 bucks for the Bottle of Neptunes i got back in the Spring, The Alaskan Fish emulsion i got from Walmart was under 10 bucks for the same size bottle. I can’t prove that there was anything to it, But my Little Rocotos Went nuts, and Neptunes is what they got :yeah:

I looked up that Pexpeppers Atom Splitter and watched a YouTube video on a taste test, no question it was HOT :lol: i found it in stock, i plan to order a bottle. Dad will dive right in, at least 1 time :D

They have a few bottles of the Neptunes fish and seaweed 2-3-1 at $16.99 each minus 60%. Since i already have plenty of fish juice i just wanted some kelp and the Happy Frog was just too good of a deal to pass up.

BTW they got Smart Pots....The good ones..... but they still will be about double the price of the ones on Amazon. 7gal atm is $9 each minus 60%. Friday they will probably be down to 70-75% off and they got a bunch of them.

This guy can handle some pretty hot stuff. One of the best pepper reviewers ever.
[youtube]H_NZtNAHanY[/youtube]

I have seen that guy and like his reviews! I definitely want to try this Sauce, i gotta order up a bottle :yeah:

You ever see that Johny Scoville guy do Hot stuff reviews?

Like i said Pex is top shelf stuff. The Taco Fuego was delicious and mild enough for a taco sauce. Still pretty freaking hot though for jalapeno. Hotter than mine.

No, i never watched that reviewer.

And here I am sitting here eating an Apple, Your post Makes my apple look very insignificant :lol:

I had a Koru apple while i was waiting....Man them things are good. Almost as good as Honey Crisp.

GM54-120 said:
I had a Koru apple while i was waiting....Man them things are good. Almost as good as Honey Crisp.

Koru, A New Zealand Apple, Never heard of them? I’ll keep my eyes open when in the Super Markets, We don’t get much of a Variety of Anything Around here.

You ever eat Asian Pear?

Love Asian pears but they are REALLY expensive. I add some of it to veggie ferments like fermented radish. Puree it with onions, garlic and Korean pepper flakes. Lacto B bacteria gorge on it and turn it sour fast.

Not quite a burn but something ive been meaning to make for awhile. So im testing a small batch.

Homemade mustard

2 tbs black mustard seeds.....these are pretty spicy for mustard. Only the Chinese mustard is hotter
2 tbs brown mustard seeds....next hottest mustard.
Grind both together in a cheap blade grinder

1 tsp Coleman yellow must powder
1.5 tsp of a Dijon mustard powder i get from a online spice supply.

Mix it all together in a small Mason jar. Add enough ice cold water...This is a tiny bit tricky cause it will setup thick if you dont add enough. Add too much and you will have a runny mustard.
Seal the jar and let it rest. A chemical reaction occurs and the mustard gets spicy.

Once its at the level of "zip" you like...let it rest sealed for atleast 10min though before you can add other stuff.

Salt to taste...i add very little
Tumeric works well and brings out more yellow
A little sugar takes away some of the bite if you like it but honey works better
Horseradish is killer if you are into that.

The real important part now though is the vinegar. Cider works fine but im using a white wine vinegar. This is why you did not want to use too much water in the first step. You could use all your liquids first but you will end up with a milder mustard. Any additions will interfere with the chemical reaction.

I would suggest after the initial rest you only add the vinegar and maybe some salt/tumeric. Then toss it in the fridge for several days. Season it after its had time to meld a little first. Homemade mustard keeps for ages in the fridge so there is no hurry. The sky is the limit on additions. Everything from white wine to Wild Turkey American Honey bourbon. :D

I opened my Mason jar this morning with just the mustards, water and vinegar. Took a big wiff....oh man its robust to say the least.

Its very simple too. I made some honey mustard just using powders and white balsamic vinegar. Only made about 3oz and its nearly gone already :D

2 tbs mustard powder
4 tsp water
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar.
Pinch of pepper flakes

After it rested i added almost 2 tsp of honey.

Lasagna with beef and Italian sausage. Almost perfectly browned. Baked covered then added fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano, extra Italian seasoning and some of this years Aleppo powder. Baked uncovered until golden and edges are getting crispy. Main i love those crunchy edges!!!
czoWkzN.jpg

8MSpytL.jpg

My little Rocoto Over Winter project didn’t pan out (i didn’t put much, to any effort in it though) I noticed yesterday that it was starting to wilt up pretty bad, I gave up on it. I enjoy starting new plants MUCH better than trying this Over Winter stuff, i am Looking forward to getting everything going about February :yeah:

Scalloped taters and ham. Dusted with fresh ground Aleppo and black pepper. Ham was all the left over edges from the small end of a country ham. . Used Cabot's Alpine White Cheddar. It was on sale for $2.50 a 6oz block. Man is it tasty well browned. Kinda got a Swiss, cheddar and Parm thing going on with it.
Ur4KCRp.jpg

vsuzfOK.jpg

Ham and beans. Finally the country ham is gone. :D I used a type of bean used in Peru. We call them canary beans. They call them mayocoba or Peruano beans. They are delicious mashed and refried too. Added some baby carrot and more celery near the end. Cooked just long enough they had a little crunch left.
Fv0MtVH.jpg

Little bit of zip of fresh crushed mild powder.
BTmKNxa.jpg

Latest posts

Back