Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a family tomato it's available in Texas it's called JD's black ,I don't know if your tomato grower also, I'm growing super dwarf this year four different kinds at home as well as my peppers

Tomatoes this year are

Zapotec heirloom from Oaxaca, Mexico
51486576_1024x1024.jpg

Sweet Million FNT hybrid
00510.jpg

Beef Master VFN hybrid
00061.jpg

EARLY GIRL VFF HYBRID IMPROVED
early-girl-vff-hybrid-improved-tomato-seeds.jpg

Last edited:
beefmaster and that sweet million are available on the Graft Roots stock that I'm telling you about it would increase production if it's really hard to put it into words and the grafted root stock actually makes growing heirlooms practical, check out mighty matos grafted vegetables online we sell them all over Texas and San Antonio Austin Dallas and fort Worth , we do still have some grafted peppers for sale

Family's been growing bedding plants vegetables and herbs for 60 years for the Texas market wholesale that is I love trying new peppers
I love cooking with the real hot peppers habanero type

Remind me later in the season. Im sure i will have extra and im sure they will make you sweat. My Scorpions last year were freakishly hot. I will have tons of seeds and powder samples too. Ive got some "stupid hots" i dried last year im going to grind and mix together soon. It will be 100% brutal. Mostly Reaper, Dragons Breath and some freakishly hot brown bhuts.

Just got this from Amazon the other day because its a salt free mix and FAR cheaper than buying Mrs Dash in the little packets. I got to say it tastes great sofar. I bought some red hatch chile powder also and Mexican Oregano since im almost out.

Frontier Co-op Taco Seasoning, Certified Organic, Kosher, Salt-Free, Non-irradiated | 1 lb. Bulk Bag
51uK53SxOhL.jpg

81jUq2J4iGL._SL1500_.jpg

815Z0lQyVqL._SL1500_.jpg

Cooked up 500grams of 85% lean and used 1/3cup of TVP to extend the "meat". I got a huge bag of unseasoned TVP and trying to limit going to the markets. All the taco seasoning really needed imo was a tiny bit more tomato powder which i have also. Roughly 1tsp of tomato powder to 2tbs of the taco seasoning. Then salt to taste. I love Spice Island taco seasoning but it has 360mg of sodium in just 2 tsps. I can salt my own food. I dont need companies telling me how much salt my food needs. :D

The whole batch had about 4 tbs of the seasoning. It would be a little zippy for just 1lb of ground beef. I think most people could get by with 3tbs per pound. 1/3 cup of dry TVP hydrates to over 1.5 cups if you use 1 cup of broth or water. TVP roughly doubles in size when hydrated.

Added that to the seasoned beef on a low simmer to cook it down a little more. You cant tell its got textured vegetable protein in it and the protein boost is pretty good. Sodium is a fraction of other mixes.

Last edited:
7 days later. Scorpion are in the middle now and Aji Panca on the right
h9WQS4Z.jpg

Got the other package i needed too. Paprika is not worth my time/space to grow when i can get it for $12/lb or less. Good Hungarian is of course far more costly but this is filler for pepper powder blends/seasonings.
PBgZQyV.jpg

Last edited:
Tomatoes this year are

Zapotec heirloom from Oaxaca, Mexico
51486576_1024x1024.jpg

Sweet Million FNT hybrid
00510.jpg

Beef Master VFN hybrid
00061.jpg

EARLY GIRL VFF HYBRID IMPROVED
early-girl-vff-hybrid-improved-tomato-seeds.jpg

I am REALLY interested in your Zapotec heirloom Tomatoes, If they do good for you i might end up Trying those Next year, Where did you get your Seed?

I just got my Tomato Seed in Domes this Evening. I am not growing any Large Varieties this Year, Only the Cherry type. A variety that my Dad has Grown for Many years now, “Whipper Snappers” They are Early Producers, and Prolific! The other Variety i am Growing is an indeterminate Cherry, Something that Came from a Stand a Few years ago, We Don’t Know the Name? They put on LOTS of Growth, Very Late Producers, Absolutely AMAZING Flavor!! Unlike ANYTHING any of us have ever had.

Peppers are Simple for me this Year. “5 Seedlings of GM54s Sugar Rush Peach” Numex Lemon Spice, Pumpkin Spice, and Orange Spice. No Super Hots for me this Year. My pepper Seedings are all up, EXCEPT the Orange Spice, Hopefully i get some of them? Did they Seem later for you?

I got Zapotec mater seedlings from Chileplants.com but they might have seeds too. Reemers sells the seeds.

I had great germination from the Orange Spice. Even started them a little later than the supers. The SRP i grew last year though were fast growers/sprouters REALLY fast. I germinate mostly in a wet paper towel. This year i did try Grodan Cubes. Its a type of rock wool. ATM im very impressed with my Scorpion seedlings. Germination was good to great but they are growing really fast for a super. Those mutant brown Reapers are still tiny.

Well i removed the seeds from all the dried pods from last year. All were Scotch Brain or hotter. Most were Reapers/Dragons Breath and the nasty Brown Bhuts. My God the bhuts are hot. I was gagging and had a 30min long sneezing fit. Got a quart bag almost packed full with very few seeds. Got a extention cord ready so i can run the grinder outside. No way in hell im grinding that death dust inside. I made that mistake once.

Now im just waiting on my Nu-Flow anti caking agent. Its a natural product made from rice hulls. Not silicon dioxide. They offer free samples of it. They sent me 2 1.5lb bags for free.
https://www.ribus.com/nu-flow/https://www.ribus.com/request-sample/

Last edited:
Whipped this up today just to test it. Flavor was great and very mild. I will be adding it to the crushed supers minus the Hatch powder and adding the Nu-Flow at 3% by weight. Super hot peppers are somewhat oily and i often get clumping even with jalapenos. I got them dried and "pasturized" at 170F. Gave them a quick crush in a jar while they were very brittle.

2 TBS KIRKLAND NO SALT SEASONING
2 TBS PAPRIKA
1 TBS KIRKLAND ONION FLAKES
1 TSP KIRKLAND GRANULATED GARLIC
1 TSP RED HATCH CHILE POWDER

1 TSP FRONTIER ALDER SMOKED SALT (OPTIONAL)

It’s not looking like i am gonna end up with any Orange Spice this year? I hope yours Does good to get an idea if they are gonna be any good or not? If my Seedlings do good, i will have Plenty of the Lemon and Pumpkin Spice :lewis:

Next year i am gonna DO AWAY with these Darn Peet Pellets, and Start Doing the Paper Towel Germination Method. I have had HIT & MISS Luck with these Peet Pellets in the Little Domes, More MISS Lately than Hit.

You can also get pellets made from coco coir. The Grodan cubes did not impress me much. They work and dont mold but nothing to rave about. Wet paper towel has worked as well or better than any method ive tried and you know they germinated before going into any kind of growing media.

Weather here has been a little too cold, much too wet and often windy. So getting the babies outside for a couple hours a day has been a problem. I need some clear totes i can turn upside down for mini greenhouses.

I need some clear totes i can turn upside down for mini greenhouses.

That’s a COOL Idea I’ve never heard of? :lewis: Depending on the year? We can deal with quite a bit of Wind in the Spring, Early Summer before it Finally Settles Down. I built that 4X8 Hoop House for that EXACT Reason

It’s not looking like i am gonna end up with any Orange Spice this year? I hope yours Does good to get an idea if they are gonna be any good or not? If my Seedlings do good, i will have Plenty of the Lemon and Pumpkin Spice :lewis:

Next year i am gonna DO AWAY with these Darn Peet Pellets, and Start Doing the Paper Towel Germination Method. I have had HIT & MISS Luck with these Peet Pellets in the Little Domes, More MISS Lately than Hit.

I spoke to soon, i am gonna have 1 Orange Spice, 1 of them Popped up :lewis:

I spoke to soon, i am gonna have 1 Orange Spice, 1 of them Popped up :lewis:

I see another 1 popped up, that’s 3 of them :woohoo: :p Mine are Awful Late, BUT I gotta keep in mind that they Can’t go outside til the VERY END of May, So They have Well over 1 Month to Live here in the Warm House under my LARGE 4 Ft, 6 Bulb T5 Grow light, So they should have plenty of Time even with our Short Grow Season.

Back