Carrying Bullets In the Field

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker12

Reaction score
So how do you carry your bullets in the field. When I used to use pellets was pretty easy but now using loose powder I need a new option.

I have speedloaders that have two compartments; one is larger that easily holds 100 grains of powder and the other holds bullet with sabot. If I need to reload I can pour the powder then I have the bullet in upside down so it will come out ready to be pushed into the barrel.

A Forum member here made this for me, I really like it :lewis:

FDPASIv.jpg

WOabWNN.jpg

Caps, all sealed up, yet easy to get at

YuVx7b4.jpg

2 Powder Charges, 2 Bullets, and Cap Holder, AWESOME Compact Setup :lewis:
kLAIgAC.jpg

I carry five tubes with pre-measured (weighed) charges, a bullet board with five patched round balls, and a priming horn (or another small tube with 4F.) Never shot more than once, but I have reloaded before retrieving the deer. I also carry 5-10 cloth patches for inter-shot cleaning; one damp, one dry, reload. Everything, including a speed loader, fits into a very small belt pouch.

ADK Bigfoot

I use Lane's tubes with pre-weighed charges. In another tube I carry three sabots with bullets in them. I use a silicone primer carrier that holds 9 primers. Actually I have three of the primer totes and carry them in various pockets so I know I can get to one in a hurry if I need to.

I use the same method as MrTom has served me well. I tried longer tubes and loaded a bullet and sabotwith sabot up then put in my weighted load on top. Worked ok but sometimes some powder would leak down past the bullet so went back to separate tubes.

I put one tube of powder and one with a sabot/bullet in snack sized zip locks and put three of those zip locks in my coat pocket with a primer caddie. I'll have maybe six more baggies in the back pack, just in case.

I carry 4 speed loaders and one loaded in the gun when I'm hunting.

I carry 9 bullets in tubes, 9 pre measured lane tubes and 2 cappers. Yes it’s a lot. I put 3 of each load one in a little bag on my mountain bike, one in my Alaska guide creations optics pack, and one in my back pack. One capper is in my optics bag and one in back pack.
I started this before I got the Alaska guide creations. It has enough room and I am rarely without it. Previously I would stash the bike, drop the pack,…. Always something potentially could go bad. I have had a Lanes tube fail due to belly crawling. So for the extra ounces I have piece of mind. But I will alway carry 5-6 loads and 2 cappers.

Back