Cast pistol bullet , lesson learned

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makinsmoke

Reaction score
Hello all, my first post and a long time lurker...
I have 3 muzzy's, a knight disc extreme with bare primer conversation, a knight wolverine fpj, and a knight TK 2000.
I learned something today, which I actually should have known. I cast bullets,alot, 30/30,348,35 rem,ect. I got the idea to cast some 300gr 45 cal with a big metplat for my ML's. I couldn't hit a barn wall from the inside, different loads ect. Well I decided to run them through a .451 sizer Vs the .454 as cast. Well hallelujah, that was it. With a MMP black sabot,100 gr of blackhorn I actually shot a 3 shot -2" group a 100 yards 2x's with my extreme. Why ,with a sabot I didn't think that would matter, but I guess it does. I've seen alot of posts about cast pistol bullets not shooting in a ML, just what I've learned. It'se rifle season now in Pa and I have a doe tag, guess what I'm taking tomorrow

Welcome to the forum...just remember with your pistol aim small hit small :D

First, welcome to the group. Second, good luck hunting, hope you get a big fat doe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome.
I don’t shoot sabots, but curious as to the change in difficulty loading- before/after?
Powder & charge?
Good luck hunting with your newly found confidence.

52Bore, I didn't feel that they loaded Amy harder then a jacketed bullet. Only explanation I can think of is maybe before sizing they weren't seating in the sabot fully.?? I had about a 8" group at 25 yards before sizing. I shot alot today and all seemed true, so maybe I learned something,that I should have already known...lol
Next is the wolverine with 777.

I also shoot cast pistol bullets for practice. I'm new so only one gun so far...and they just would not shrink under 6" at 100. I think they just were too slick in the sabot. So as I do my full bore project I'm going to knurl them to a larger size and see if that helps. The cast savings in huge...and I like to shoot so I give on one (accuracy) to gain on the other (repetitions).

A .454 bullet fits fine in a Harvester Black Crushrib but just to keep things simple its easier to go with a .451-.452 and just pick the right sabot for your bore. Read the sabot sticky at the top of the page to see all the loaded ODs.

BTW Accurate Molds sells many smooth sided molds just for sabots. Guys shooting hotter loads have suggested reducing the bevel on the base of the bullet. Smoker loads may not need it but it wont hurt.

This is just one example. They have quite a few. http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=13
45-295H-D.png

Well they worked, :applause: sneaking around a fresh chopped cornfield late yesterday afternoon. I spotted 3 flat tops at a ranged 102 yards. Long story short, I got myself a good rest against a big ol' oak,waited for one to turn broadside ,then touched off my disc extreme.
It was really kinda cool hearing that big fat metplat on the bullet hit. Bang.....Pop. I took her right behind the shoulder threw the ribs 1" entry 2" exit , went about 2 feet= straight down. I used my knight disc extreme bare primer conversation ,.451 sized 300 grain bullet, black harvester sabot,100 grains 209.
I've always used various pistol bullets,and alot of times have no exit and / or a poor blood trail, I've found some just by following their tracks. I know 1 deer proves nothing ,but it seems like a positive start. I have no pics, just a medium doe. And soon to be alot of sausage ; )

Back