Casting progression as heat increases

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Not to muddy up sdporter’s post on what’s wrong.
Casted a box for Stephen Tucker (WR whitetail) and thought I’d share how bullets increase in weight as temp rises.
These are 540gr 45cal bullets Pure lead with a touch of tin, so the 5gr difference from 541-545gr can be visibly seen in the lighter bullets in form of wrinkles.
I let the pot heat to 700 (blue film on top), let my AL mold heat up close to the burner, started casting.
I thru a few back in as I can tell if the mold is hot as my HP pin can be removed easily, like normal I would say.
A box of 50, can be cast in under 30min.
After they cooled, I weighted the 1st half (photo) 541-544gr, then added the other 1/2 total - you can see I added a row to the right/heaviest and it has the most.
Final temp when done was just over 800 (thin film starts to turn yellow/gold), good bullets...
You can see from the photo, if I’d kept casting another 50+ the bullets would have continued to be heavy/uniform in weight.

1st half, 1gr rows
4BC93229-C01E-43C8-8D98-8F663C730764.jpeg

Added 2nd half - all bullets casted 541-545gr
1CF70129-610C-445A-80F5-74F0F086DD0B.jpeg

Left early 700 degree bullet, Right last bullet (800) heaviest.
40584A58-F056-465F-B2DF-64ABCEE9C7B2.jpeg

In matches, I’ll group bullets into 1gr increments - honestly I can’t tell a difference even with a few gr of weight difference.

Last edited:
More Heat Stacey. If you are Casting PURE Lead, and have a Lead Thermometer, Look for 800 Degrees, HOT is your Friend here :lewis:

For HEAVY molds such as Accurate STEEL Molds, i dip the Bottom of the Blocks in the Molten Lead, I Start my Timer, and Let it Soak for 8 Full Minutes, This slightly Over Heats the Mold, The Sprue will “Dance” for a Full 30-45 Seconds before it Starts to Solidify, DON’T Open your Mold to Soon here!! As the Sprue Starts to Solidify you will see a Hole “sink” down in the Sprue, Count a Full 30-45 Seconds Before you Dump this Bullet, this first Bullet will be Purple/Blue, And PERFECTLY Filled out, But I don’t keep the First 3-4 Bullets, I Cast and Dump them, This is to Allow the Mold to “Settle down” and enter the Zone :lewis:

What i said to Stacey in his Thread.

Simply put, Common sense says that a Perfectly filled out Bullet is gonna Weigh more than a Bullet that is not.

Back