Casting Round balls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
I begin casting my own .500 round balls I have compiled tons of research. Various media, books, videos, you tube, forums, face book, I always end up postponing. re working worst case disasters, water in molten lead, foolish folks/kids factor. I need to set a side a day and just do it.

Watch your neighbors if they are close to you, any unusual smoke from your garage and they are on the phone calling anyone that will listen.

:confused: It was my fault (lived in a regular neighborhood on 1/2 acre lots). A new neighbor next door see's I'm doing something because of a film of smoke coming out of my shed in the backyard.

Next thing (day or so later) I know he comes over and hands me a federal form about dirty air, etc. Turns out he works for EPA and reports me ....... :mad:

Heck I had been casting every Sat. for several years making cast 2 lb. bars in original St. Louis shot tower molds from the 1820-30's. They sold really good at the rendezvous, period encampments or at gun shows. I was only casting 40-50 pounds each Sat., so what's a little smoke .... ;)

saw dust for flux. Flux it once and stir it in, give it time to float up. Skim it off, add another teaspoon of saw dust, sprinkle it over your lead and start casting. Leaving the saw dust in ( but working around it ) keeps the oxidation from forming and clogging up your ladle.

saw dust for flux. Flux it once and stir it in, give it time to float up. Skim it off, add another teaspoon of saw dust, sprinkle it over your lead and start casting. Leaving the saw dust in ( but working around it ) keeps the oxidation from forming and clogging up your ladle.
Nice all great info, for one to take in

Back