.451 Round Ball Casting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have cast some .451 today. Lee 4 pound Pot, Lee Mold. As for Funky lines, and Under size balls YES I had it happen in the beginning. I never "smoked" the mold never pre-heated the mold, I use about 1/4 teaspoon lard float on top of lead. This does 3 fold 1) Smoke not necessary 2) Lead releases cleanly 3) Flux no flames Kept everything running smooth. Now as lard cooks needs to be taken off a little fresh added. Other than a little mean green de-greaser, hot water and dry the night before, That was all my mold prep. I know and have followed others You tube, Read Directions with the molds. However I have access to an 84 year old lead caster whom had been doing this back when he was 8 years old, with his dad and grampa. The knowledge I have fits the pointy end of a stick pin. His eh as vast as a galaxy. I believe he has more knowledge than I will ever acquire. finding the "Keys" to unlock the knowledge with the alzheimers. Well most days when he is fluid, you just have to listen.

Back