CCI 209 Primer vs Remington Kleenbore primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I've only used Remington Kleenbore primers with my Pro Hunter FX and Hodgdon 777 pellets . I have been unable to find any of the Kleenbore primers for over a year. I bought a 1000 CCI 209 primers from Midway this week ($110 to the door šŸ˜­). Is there anything negative about using the CCI primers? I've read about crud ring. I swab after each shot. Thanks in advance.

Is there anything negative about using the CCI primers?

There doesn't seem to be. They work good.

Several different ways have been tried to eliminate the crud ring. Nothing that was tried to eliminate the crud ring did actually eliminate the crud ring.

Tried the muzzle loader primers -- didn't.
Tried the VariFlame adapters, and pistol primers -- didn't.
Tried the 25 acp brass, and small primers -- didn't

Swabbing between shots removes enough of the crud ring to allow one to reload with ease; reload with ease. Swabbing between shots makes for a cooler more accurate barrel. Life is good.

CCI 209 primers work good.

I personally prefer CCI's over all others. I have found in my daughter's Traditions Buckstalker that the CCI's don't foul up the breech plug as much as particularly the Federal 209A's. But I haven't been able to find CCI's for some time and I have about 800 Federals, along with a mix of Remingtons and Winchesters.

Back