CCI Primes For BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry George but that page says to "check your local store for availability". Doubtful that any primers are available off that site.

Being new to the Muzzy my question is are all of these shortages of seemingly everything BP normal? Or is this still covid supply chain issues?

I have never experienced this limited of supply in anything else in my life whether that’s other hobbies or day to day items.

Being new to the Muzzy my question is are all of these shortages of seemingly everything BP normal? Or is this still covid supply chain issues?

I have never experienced this limited of supply in anything else in my life whether that’s other hobbies or day to day items.
There's a number of factors into play, but it really got traction with covid.
Wars going on, new shooters, and still trying to recover from covid. Plus..... no new plants are being built.
Its not just with muzzleloaders.............

Being new to the Muzzy my question is are all of these shortages of seemingly everything BP normal?

There's no right answer as to why the stuff is shorthanded. Lots of speculation there. It does seem that the new norm for primers is the Cheddite and they've worked very well for me using T7, BH209 and smokeless. Within 50 miles of home I can buy Cheddites by the single tray of 100, cartons of 1000 or a case of 10,000 any time I want. When covid got things funky I bought all the Winchester 209s I saw on shelves and am still shooting those. I had over a thousand Federal 209s fall in my lap for nothing, plus I have a couple cartons of Cheddites so the last thing I am going to lose sleep over is a maybe primer shortage.

Powder is about the same way.

Farmingdales Finest-

My suggestion is to sign up for “Email me when in stock” notifications from the well-known outlets like MidwaUSA, Grafs, Ballistic Products, Natchez, Midsouth, etc.

When you get a notification that something is in stock, JUMP ON IT! They tend to sell out FAST, and you’re among vultures! 😂

You’ll likely have to eat the shipping/HazMat fees… but the heartburn isn’t too bad when you’re looking at 1K primers. That’s a LOT of muzzleloading, right there! 🤠

After you have an initial stash, keep adding to it. With your initial supply crisis over for the time being, you can:
-add more at your convenience
-get trays of different types, for load development
-go in on group orders with your buddies, to spread shipping/Haz Mat fees out amongst several shooters.

I added to my stash consistently during the last few years. During the darkest days, the online outfits often had a “one tray” limit (100 primers).

Obviously I wasn’t paying for shipping/Haz Mat for 100 primers… so I’d wait until there were bricks if 1K primers available.

You’ll likely have to pay a premium to get your initial stash, but then you can relax and add at your convenience.

If you’re a “thrill of the hunt” kind of guy, the search for components can become just another part of your hobby. It’s FUN!

Well… ALMOST fun! 🤑

You’ll hear the old timers reminisce about $0.02 primers, they won’t pay scalper prices, if we don’t buy, they’ll HAVE to lower prices, blah, blah, blah.

That’s all true… up to a point. In the meantime, are you willing to shoot a slingshot until you find a screaming deal? I’m not.

Building a cache of components we help keep you from suffering when times are lean.

Speaking of $0.02 primers…

I remember buying a couple cases of Exxon Superflo motor oil for $0.29/quart. It was a good deal then… but “then” was about forty years ago! 🤪

The shortages are pretty much all in just guns and ammo. (Outside of covid induced supply issues) There was always pretty much a steady supply up untill Obamas first term. Since then it has become a norm, and progressively worse. Half of it is the demand is above supply, and half is fallout from the shortages. call it panic buying, prepping, whatever. When something, especially if unavailable for a time comes up, it rarely gets advertised, and is usually gone before you find it. A lot of it is fear from the pushback against these things even being available. Govt agencies always get priority, and they have been buying massive orders of supply. (which has all the expected theory and rumor surrounding it to further feed the counter greed. Its just been snowballing for some time.
All that coupled with the change in ownership, relocation, bankruptcies, etc of many big name manufacturers, and many extended periods of loss of manufacturing during these changes, relocation and fallouts. Now Vista outdoors, a huge umbrella company for many of these big and traditionally American Icons of the industry Has been sold to a Czech company, and not a lot of news has come out for future edeavors.

Last edited:
that website is a scam, tell tale sign is they dont accept any credit cards, only cash payment apps, so once they have your $$ its GONE forever...thats why prices are cheaper than normal and they have everything in stock because they are a scam ...plus almost all the scam websites that have a cash only pay , have a chat box to further think they are legit..

that website is a scam, tell tale sign is they dont accept any credit cards, only cash payment apps, so once they have your $$ its GONE forever...thats why prices are cheaper than normal and they have everything in stock because they are a scam ...plus almost all the scam websites that have a cash only pay , have a chat box to further think they are legit..
Thanks

Latest posts

Back