Changing Powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhillshunter

Reaction score
So I have been using Blackhorn 209 in my CVA Accura 2, but sadly only have a little and cannot find any. I do have a container of 777 loose powder and was wondering what I need to know if I switch to the 777? Is the 777 decent? Never used anything but the BH as I really like it, but that might not be a option this fall.

T7 works really well. It will not produce the velocity that BH can with heavier bullets. The velocity might be up to 150 fps at the muzzle using equal 120 grain loads. The BIG thing is the ignition of T7 with a 209 primer can/will create a 'crud ring' of fouling down near the breech, especially if you use any real petroleum products in the bore. Try to use synthetic lubricants like Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner.

I use a damp Blue Windex patch to wipe and clear the barrel of some fouling and the "crud ring". When you patch the barrel and get near the breech you will feel the rod get significantly harder to push through the fouling. It would be my suggestion when you reach the 'crud ring' use very shot rapid strokes to clear the ring - once cleared you are good to go again. There is a learning curve with the ring.

Making Windex patches...

WinPatch.jpg

The next problem you might have is T7 could cause your BP to seize in place. Make sure you use some sort of anti seize on the BP threads and I would suggest until you know for sure turn the BP out a bit after 10 or so shots.

Finally... BH was purchased by Hodgkin and has been slow to reappear on the market place but it is starting to show up in the market place so I would bet it will be available in many places shortly.

Using 209 primers with the T7 you'll likely have crud ring issues and will need to swab after each shot. There are some here who have passed on the 209 powder and gone to either pyro or real black or T7 and have switched over breech plugs to using #11 caps or musket caps and are having success. In an inline a magnum #11 cap or the musket cap will ignite T7 granular easily. This may be an option since 209 shotshell reloading primers are also a tough find right now.

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

Thank for the heads up on the BH sabotloader, I hope I find some before season.

I used 777 for years and never knew what the crud ring was because I was shooting #11 caps. When I got Encore and Accura muzzleloaders I found out. I swab between shots for accuracy, so the ring isn't a big deal. The special low power 209's for muzzleloaders are better, but probably not available either.

Do you ever see RWS musket caps on shelves in stores?

I'm ok on 209s and do have some like in the picture. It was the last box at a local shop a few months back, so I picked it up. If I end up using the 777, I'll make sure to use those. I appreciate all the comments, as I'm still learning this ml thing.

Latest posts

Back