"Church buck"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fliowa

Reaction score
Well as usual I am late posting the results of my Iate season Iowa muzzleloader hunt with my brother. My brother and I hunted several days this year on public land and were not seeing many bucks. However my luck changed one morning when my brother failed to wake me up before sunrise because his wife talked him in to going with her to a church function that morning. So as I looked out the window I tell myself you cant kill them from the couch. I grab a energy bar and headed to a area on public land where I can slip in relatively unnoticed and watch over a valley. Its about 8am as I sit down on my cushion on the ground. I place the Knight Disc extreme on my shooting sticks. I scan the woods below and there this buck is standing 80 yards below me. There is one tree between me and him and I take a look with my binocs and said good enough for me. I put the crosshairs a tick behind his right shoulder which was unobstructed and send the 250 grain shockwave his way. He does a 90 degree turn to the left and takes off running south but drops in view after about 70 yards. I quickly reload out of habit and watch the deer with my binocs for few minutes. I see no movement so I head downhill and walk over to him.

I spend the next hour and a half field dressing him and dragging him out. It would of been a little quicker but 3/4 ths the way up the hill my drag harness rope snapped and my buck took a ride on the plastic sled back to the bottom. I finally got him to my brothers house and put him in the garage. I went over the local cafe and had a early lunch. I went back to the house and my brother had made it back home from church event. He wanted to know where I got the deer and I told him it wasn't at church but I appreciate him praying for me. I had him flustered the rest of the day.

Attachments

• cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7ZuI.jpeg
    cwvDm9asA_Lw9YsGTQNy8vW7ZuI.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 653
Nice buck! Call it fate or luck you were in the right place at the right time.

:applause: :applause:

CONGRATS on bagging that buck. He's a nice one and your story was just as good. :yeah:

Ray.............. :applause:

Very nice buck!! Out of curiosity, did that Shockwave leave a blood trail? That looks like a good eating buck.

cayuga said:
Very nice buck!! Out of curiosity, did that Shockwave leave a blood trail? That looks like a good eating buck.

The snow was about a foot deep where he was at and I shot him at a pretty steep angle. He was spraying blood so it was easy to see on the snow. I have shot a number of deer with that bullet and the blood trails very from poor to very good. I try to only use that bullet when I have more open terrain and longer shots are the norm. I rarely use that bullet in Florida.

I have been shooting a lot of the .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwaves. Extremely accurate bullet. But then you read so many different opinions on the Shockwaves' ability to harvest game. I personally think if its placed right, I see no reason why it would not work. Thanks for the report.

Back