clamp on brake for a remington uml

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alzheimershooter

Reaction score
does anyone make a clamp on brake specifically for a remington uml, the reason i don't want to thread it is that i have to shoot iron sights and i have my sight all set up, if i thread it, i would have to move the front sight stuff back and that could get even more expensive.

I believe you're going to find that even with a clamp on, you're likely going to have to move the front sight. If you're shooting loose propellant, a funnel will be required. Not sure how well a clamp on will hold up on a RUM with heavy charges, and it would be something to constantly check that it remained secure after a few shots. Inside diameter shooting sabots may be an issue.

"If you don't have the time or money to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?" Quote from my dad, R.I.P.

Its only my opinion, having owned and shot Ultimate rifles for over 5 years, but if it were me, I'd take the stock off that rifle and send the barrel to LR Customs https://lrcustomsinc.com/ and have Levi install a T-Rex brake and remount your front sight if necessary. Also if it were me, I'd have the OEM breech plug removed and have him install the AGS Gen2 breech plug. Those two things will turn the rifle into a real race horse instead of being a pony. No more messing around with anything and you'll be done with it, having a true long range rifle, capable of shooting BH209 without worry of gas leaking and gas cutting the OEM breech plug.

Here's one example of a clamp on: https://kahntrol.com/index.php/muzzle-brakes/clamp-on-muzzle-brakes/

Here's a video of a friend shooting his RUM, with the ASG Gen2 breech plug and having the LR Customs T-Rex brake. NOTE: His charge is 100grs by weight of BH209. That charge IS NOT for production muzzleloaders. Read and follow your rifle's owner's manual. There is NO WEIGHT on his sled and notice how well the T-Rex controls recoil.

Witt Machine will custom fabricate a clamp on muzzle brake for any barrel. I have a couple on some SMLs. They work well and are reasonably priced. Not sure whether they will work with a sabot.

Witt Machine will custom fabricate a clamp on muzzle brake for any barrel. I have a couple on some SMLs. They work well and are reasonably priced. Not sure whether they will work with a sabot.
https://www.wittmachine.net/clamp-on-brakes/

Harry, he's still going to have to move his front sight I believe, even if he could shoot sabots through a Witt.
A clamp on brake takes up much more barrel than a threaded brake.

This photo shows the amount of barrel used on my Ultimate for the radial brake.

IMG_1309a.jpg

IMG_1310.JPG

cierra better pic buck.jpg jason buck.jpg
https://www.wittmachine.net/clamp-on-brakes/

Harry, he's still going to have to move his front sight I believe, even if he could shoot sabots through a Witt.
A clamp on brake takes up much more barrel than a threaded brake.

This photo shows the amount of barrel used on my Ultimate for the radial brake.

View attachment 4219

View attachment 4220

how does that brake work? i know it is a small point, but radial brakes for me in the past on regular rifles always tend to kick up more dust, which i find irratating. and can impede my vision to see shot impact. did you get a radial for any particular reason? or is that just the way it came?

i didn't think about putting in the powder, i guess a longer funnel is in order.

thanks for the info! greatly appreciated. i should have included more info. i am using the sabotless bullets from fury. i am running the ASG set up although i got it last year and don't know if it is gen 2 or not. probably not since most companies always release gen 2 right after I have bought gen 1. i am running 70 gr by weight of blackhorn and just switched to the 275 bullet after last year using the 325. clearly, my goal with the brake is just to reduce recoil, flinch, and overall having a more enjoyable gun. my teenagers shoot it since i can never get a tag but i spend a lot of time dialing it in, (more like blasting away hoping to hit something),,, so i would appreciate less recoil as well.

my son got his first buck with it last year and my daughter got a buck with it a couple years ago. View attachment 4221 jason buck.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 4224 View attachment 4222

how does that brake work? i know it is a small point, but radial brakes for me in the past on regular rifles always tend to kick up more dust, which i find irratating. and can impede my vision to see shot impact. did you get a radial for any particular reason? or is that just the way it came?

i didn't think about putting in the powder, i guess a longer funnel is in order.

thanks for the info! greatly appreciated. i should have included more info. i am using the sabotless bullets from fury. i am running the ASG set up although i got it last year and don't know if it is gen 2 or not. probably not since most companies always release gen 2 right after I have bought gen 1. i am running 70 gr by weight of blackhorn and just switched to the 275 bullet after last year using the 325. clearly, my goal with the brake is just to reduce recoil, flinch, and overall having a more enjoyable gun. my teenagers shoot it since i can never get a tag but i spend a lot of time dialing it in, (more like blasting away hoping to hit something),,, so i would appreciate less recoil as well.

my son got his first buck with it last year and my daughter got a buck with it a couple years ago. View attachment 4221 View attachment 4222

Yes, the radial will kick up dust, especially if shooting prone and also up. Yes, it makes it hard to see. Mine came on the Ultimate. BRAKES ARE LOUD.

THAT is why I highly recommend the LR Customs T-Rex brake, which is a tactical (side ported). It is an EXTREMELY affective brake and one that is going on my next rifle. Contact Levi. His brakes come with a load through funnel. You will be very happy if you take that route. You'll be able to increase your charges without the recoil. The kids will appreciate it. Oh, the friend in that video says he can see the bullet impact with his T-Rex.

If you have the AGS system in your RUM, it IS the Gen2 breech plug.

I shot the 325gr Fury star tip, now a 320gr, last year and they'll work to 300yds. Anything beyond and I had problems keeping a group. At 400 the target wasn't even worth review. I was sending them with 105grs by weight of BH. The 300gr SST's I sent with 112grs by weight at 2,400fps.
I have 100 of the 275's and 100 of the 300gr Fury I'll be shooting this summer.

You WILL be happy with the T-Rex brake from LR Customs.

Congratulations to the kids. Nice critters ;)

Last edited:
Yes, the radial will kick up dust, especially if shooting prone and also up. Yes, it makes it hard to see. Mine came on the Ultimate. BRAKES ARE LOUD.

THAT is why I highly recommend the LR Customs T-Rex brake, which is a tactical (side ported). It is an EXTREMELY affective brake and one that is going on my next rifle. Contact Levi. His brakes come with a load through funnel. You will be very happy if you take that route. You'll be able to increase your charges without the recoil. The kids will appreciate it. Oh, the friend in that video says he can see the bullet impact with his T-Rex.

If you have the AGS system in your RUM, it IS the Gen2 breech plug.

I shot the 325gr Fury star tip, now a 320gr, last year and they'll work to 300yds. Anything beyond and I had problems keeping a group. At 400 the target wasn't even worth review. I was sending them with 105grs by weight of BH. The 300gr SST's I sent with 112grs by weight at 2,400fps.
I have 100 of the 275's and 100 of the 300gr Fury I'll be shooting this summer.

You WILL be happy with the T-Rex brake from LR Customs.

Congratulations to the kids. Nice critters ;)

were you shooting the star tips as is, or do you have a bullet sizer to make them all uniform? i was just pushing them down as is.

were you shooting the star tips as is, or do you have a bullet sizer to make them all uniform? i was just pushing them down as is.
At the time I used a Swinglock .50cal sizing die and had to size them. I'd have to look on the sheet to be sure, but I believe the 325's sized down from "0" on the die, 8 clicks. It put the loading force at 23#.
On my BP Xpress the Lothar Walther barrel is quite different than the RUM. They (Fury) sure will put the hammer of Thor on a whitetail!

You have a PM

Yeah, I missed that he had a front sight he did not wish to remove and assumed it was a bare barrel. It definitely wont work with a front sight.

thanks for the info everyone. looking like i will get the barrel threaded and tap some new holes for the front sight.

A friend of mine here in MI installed the T-Rex brake on his RUM. Then he took a video of himself shooting.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A CHARGE FOR PRODUCTION RIFLES. Read and follow your rifles owner's manual.
The charge being shot in his video is 100grs by weight of BH209 through his RUM. There is no weight on his sled. Very little recoil as evident in his video.

Latest posts

Back