Classic firearms and parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a walnut stock and trigger guard for my TC Thunder Hawk. I could not be happier!
The sock was advertised as used. Barely.
The packaging was excellent ( packing peanuts are SO much fun in winter. Sticks to EVERYTHING) and it was shipped Mon and arrived today via USPS.
Now for the good stuff!
There are a few handling marks on the stock. Nothing major. I was planning on giving it an oil finish, but its in such good shape, I might let it age gracefully.
The synthetic stock fit me perfectly. So I thought until I put the walnut on and shouldered her.
What have I done?! This rifle fits like it was made for me! And on top of that, handles better than any rifle I've ever owned, breech or muzzleloader. My Black Diamonds feel like clubs by comparison.
TC has come out with some goofy stock designs over the years, but the Thunder Hawk is NOT one of them.
I am going to glass bed her though. Stability is a wonderful thing. I hope she shoots as well, or better, in the walnut as she did in the Tupperware.
So. Got the rifle for $150. Stock was $134.50, $29.50 for the trigger guard and $13 for shipping so for $ $327 total, I got me a great rifle!

Sounds Great, When the rifle as a Whole fits like a glove it is a wonderful thing!:D

I just touched up the crown on my Thunderhawk, it had some pitting around crown that was down into the very edge of rifling creating like a burr and I think this might be why it wants to throw bullets to the left a bit and not get real tight groups.
Took a 180 deg countersink and on drills slowest speed slowly touched up crown, not absolutely perfect but way better then it was.. no rough edges or burrs now, you can still see where pits were on outside of crown but they are gone in rifling. If it still doesn't shoot consistent may get a bit more aggressive with countersink, if that doesn't work can always send to Bestill:D
before and after pic:
20190117_124257.jpg 20190117_125446.jpg

After looking at crown closer there were still some pitting that was in the edge of rifling so got more aggressive with countersink and looks a lot better now.
Sure would like to see some pics of your walnut stock, would you mind telling where you got it?

The obvious answer is to get it. Or at least I would. If you look at how long it sounds like Confederate Rifleman was looking for one, and this place happens to have one left, me personally I'd grab it now and worst case you decide you don't want it you could probably get your money back in the classifieds. But maybe that's just me.

Yeah he was looking for a Black Diamond stock which are impossible to find, I see the Thunderhawk stocks come up for sale a little more often.. Im probably just going to keep the Laminated T/H stock on it as I really like the way it feel and my action is not really in food enough condition to warrant the walnut..

Back