cleaning barrel after black powder or pryodex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overdue Bill

Reaction score
04.10.2018  I've read of a bunch of different soaps etc. used for cleaning and I'm sure they all work well but I use Fels-Naptha with excellent results.  I just shave it off with and old fashioned hand held vegetable peeler into my super hot water, plop in the nipple end of the barrel and start with the patches.  Works super.

I just use Dawn dish washing soap and super hot water, followed by a few dry patches then a patch soaking with 90 percent rubbing alcohol, then a couple more dry patches and then Barricade or Butches gun oil.

dbowling said:
I just use Dawn dish washing soap and super hot water, followed by a few dry patches then a patch soaking with 90 percent rubbing alcohol, then a couple more dry patches and then Barricade or Butches gun oil.
I do this except I use 409 cleaner instead of dishwashing liquid.

Patocazador and dbowling--Thanks for the response.  I have often heard of using dawn.  Don't know if I ever tried it.  I've had one of my front stuffers since before 1980.  Don't do a terrible lot of shooting but my barrel is still in excellent shape.   I'll sure try the Dawn and for sure the 409.

I've used 409 cleaner for several years now and it works great, but I always follow with clean hot water.

Awesome avatar pic singletree!

Warm water with a little dawn for me to. AWESOME works really good to.

Yep, just dish soap and water, never used anything else, no need for it.
Just water if that is all you got.

I use super hot water to start, then I dump out the black water and refill the container with a mix of super hot water and some Ballistol.  I pump that through the barrel.  Then a few patches with 90% alcohol as dbowling does.  Finish up with Frontier's Anti-Rust and Patch Lube.

Thanks Smokin' Joe   By the way, what does the word "swamped" imply when speaking of barrels?

Bill, a swamped barrel narrows in the middle as in the example below.  Makes the long barreled rifles very light and comfortable to carry and shoot.

E2QBM3.jpg

Hey, Thanks a bunch.  I didn't get the example you sent.  I'm probably doing something wrong as I am extremely computer illiterate but I'm pretty sure I get the jist of what you're saying.

Nope, still didn't get it but that's ok.  Don't want to put you to a bunch of trouble when the mistake is probably on my end.

Latest posts

Back